Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
glyerine as fuel in unmodified diesel engine (Mcneil cycle)

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/739605551/m/7157014673

October 28, 2013, 10:53 PM
Trev from Canada
glyerine as fuel in unmodified diesel engine (Mcneil cycle)
Has anyone experience with the Mcneil cycle to produce power and heat from a diesel generator? http://www.aquafuelresearch.co...issionimpossible.pdf
November 30, 2013, 08:52 AM
andyman
thanks for the article. some interesting things in there.

glycerin sure does have some remarkable properties as a fuel.

i'm focusing on its use as boiler/burner fuel. i would like to heat it to over 100C and run it through a atomizing burner. i figure it should combust readily at some preheat temp. regulating that temp would be a challenge for sure.
September 24, 2014, 07:11 AM
Cineman
Surely the ash from burning glycrol would clog the piston rings and ware out the engine prematurely, after-all that's the reason we go to great lengths to remove the glycerol from our biodiesel even chasing down minute quantities in unreacted oil with the 3/27 test. Otherwise we'd all be using SVO conversions. Most people i know who tried SVO either switched to making bio diesel after a few months or ran up expensive fuel system repair bills and gave up the green dream altogether.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI with a BKP engine 86,000 miles on B100 and not going strong. Bio-diesel broke oil pump drive shaft! ..No oil pressure, dead turbo.
September 24, 2014, 07:31 AM
Jon Heron
quote:
i'm focusing on its use as boiler/burner fuel. i would like to heat it to over 100C and run it through a atomizing burner. i figure it should combust readily at some preheat temp. regulating that temp would be a challenge for sure.

Biotom on this board has successfully burnt glycerol in his boiler system. If you search around you should be able find his posts with pics..
Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
September 24, 2014, 11:19 AM
Dgs
I've tried burning glycerol in my thermobile waste oil heater.
These are the type that pump the oil into a burner dish which has to be cleaned out each day.

It did work. The drawback was that the residue (presumably ash from the soap) was so hard I had to chisel it off the dish every morning. I gave up in the end and just use WMO now.

I cannot see this working in an IC engine.
September 27, 2014, 05:18 AM
JimKohler
Pity you cant find a throw away dish, that would make it all worth while. Jim.
September 28, 2014, 06:46 AM
Dgs
Thats right Jim,

Trouble is they are about 6mms cast,15" diameter and from thermobile are @ £80 each!