BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Glycerin for dust control

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerin for dust control
 Login/Join

posted
For those of you that have used glycerin for dust control on roads

when it rains, does it develop into a slimy soapy mess?

or is it more impervious, like asphalt?

posted Hide Post
Good question... sorry I don't have an answer.

But, I started wondering... is it a good idea to essentially be spraying sugar on the roads? Do the critters learn to eat it?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have used it successfuly for dust supression. Much longer acting when compared to water. Suppressed dust for 3 weeks + even after 5mm of rain. Did not go slimey with rain. Glycerin is a good soil wetter so rain absorbed quickly. Seemed to form a layer or crust on the surface. We also tried a undiluted batch: result: dilute with water.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any followup information on this topic? It is something I'm interested in developing as dust control is my business.

posted Hide Post
i have no idea if glycerin works in dust control but here is a solutions provider I can think of referring to http://www.soilsolutions.com/

posted Hide Post
DusDown is run by a fellow in Australia that has done a lot in this area. If he decides to pipe in and tell his story it is quite the tale given his situation. A true story of courage.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Legal, I just looked at his web site, do you know if he's using naoh gycerin or koh? any other helpful details. We have mines here in the area.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
He may have mentioned it in our emails but I can't remember and do not keep old emails (unless potential legal stuff could arise).

I am sure if you contact him via his website that he would be willing to divulge certain information to help you. Quite an affable fellow really.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're looking at using our waste glycerol on our dirt roads but still can't find some dilution and application numbers.

Anyone know the amount of water it's best to dilute the demethed glycerol with and what is the best amount to apply per square yard/meter?

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter. Dilute to what your sprayer will easily handle.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put some down in a friend's boat storage barn where the floor was almost talcum powder in places. I used a fan nozzle on a trash pump. initally, we used about 50/50, and it seemed like it made too much of a mess. when I got it in the neighborhood of 60-70% water, it seemed to soak in better. like I said, first time experince. but the results are outstanding! he even said it seems to have tightened the floor up a bit. it's too wet here right now to try anything outside, but that is next on this little adventure. I'll keep everyone posted.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Road Runner. Am looking forward to hearing how your trials go.