BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Somebody in Spokane needs to take advantage of this

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somebody in Spokane needs to take advantage of this
 Login/Join

posted
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...us/bootleg_detergent

Sounds like there is a need for some glycerine based soap!

posted Hide Post
Yeah would be interesting if someone came up with a recipe for biodiesel/glycerin dish washer soap. I have made some liquid soap a couple of times but I handwash my dishes.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Several people have successfully used biodiesel glycerine soap in automatic dishwashers.
I think the first to play around with it was Graham Laming. He used 7 gr of bar soap shredded into the soap holder. Others have since used the liquid soap directly in varying amounts.

I don't have a dishwasher except for the one in the mirror, so mine are done using a flannel rather than putting the soap directly into the water. Works great.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently, Im just using glycerine that was demethed to 190-200F, mixing in 1/3 water, and using that as a hand cleaner and 50/50 laundry detergent. KOH based
Are there any hazards using it as I do as a dishawashing soap> Hazards as in residual methanol at my temps?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooknline:
Currently, Im just using glycerine that was demethed to 190-200F, mixing in 1/3 water, and using that as a hand cleaner and 50/50 laundry detergent. KOH based
Are there any hazards using it as I do as a dishawashing soap> Hazards as in residual methanol at my temps?

If your dishes are dry, and free of soap residue, then you will not have methanol on them.

After you've successfully washed and dried your wine glasses, go ahead and pour yourself a glass of wine that the FDA allows up to 0.1% methanol. I.E. Up to about 1 ml methanol per liter of wine.

I'm trying to make sense of the Washington law.

Certainly there are a number of large reservoirs in Washington, and on the Washington/Oregon boarder. Other than those, I'm wondering how much waste water actually makes its way into Washington lakes.

Most of the lakes where I have gone camping are high-mountain lakes, and do not receive any municipal treated water, nor even runoff from septic systems.

Since Algae likes phosphates... and the dream of biodiesel production is high algae growth... perhaps the answer is not restricting the phosphates in soap, but rather trying to grow more algae in the sewer treatment plants and making more biodiesel.

I suppose the usage of dishwasher soap adds up. But, I had thought the main source of phosphates in "runoff" was from fertilizer.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post