BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    The amazing transformations of matter

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The amazing transformations of matter
 Login/Join

posted
We all know (I hope) the laws of transformations of energy, also known as the 4 laws of thermodynamics.
Well, yesterday I have witnessed how matter can be transformed just as easily as energy.

It all started when I decided to make my second batch of soap. So, after gathering all I needed, I started by freezing the water, heating the fats (a total of 8 kilos), and getting everything measured up and ready.
And then it happened. Once the fats were at the right temperature, I mixed the lye and the water, and after just a few moments of sloppy chemistry, I could witness firsthand how the 8 kilos of fats , and about 3 kilos of water and lye, got "magically" (or should I say, "chemically") transformed into roughly 11 kilos of...GARBAGE! Mad

What can I say...? Science never fails to amaze me...

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berny,

Most soap can be recovered.

What is making the soap "Garbage"? To thin, caustic hot, mushy?

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not this one. One of my mistakes was to dump all the lye/water mixture at once, without stirring. It formed chunks of something very hard, about the size of hazelnuts. It wasn't soap. I tried it, and it wouldn't dissolve in water.
Anyways, I'll probably make another batch on Friday.
Thanks Rick, for the reply. I really didn't think I was gonna get any. I just posted out of frustration.

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that using an electric hand mixer with continued stirring until the mixture thickened really helped. If I only used a spoon and hand stirred I got soap that was giving off beads of glycerin.

Kept the mixture at about 150 F with mixing for about 10 minutes, poured into a mold and released it the following day.

Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I do have a stick blender I bought specifically for the soap. I just decided ( stupidly) to dump all of the lye in before blending.

posted Hide Post
Bernyjb,

Take comfort in knowing you are not the first to do such a thing. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the best soap in the world. It will take everything off your hands - including your fingerprints.

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins - 2008 F-350 w/ DPF delete - Four Farm Tractors - Two Homes. All on B100

Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
It will take everything off your hands - including your fingerprints.

Well, I'm sure a lot of criminals would be willing to give it a try... Big Grin

Seriously, what happened?
Did you go crazy with the lye?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, what happened?
Did you go crazy with the lye?

Yup,

Backyard chemistry, no scale, no measuring device. Just a little of this, a little of that, err... a LOT of that, mix and poof! Razz

It does make great soap, but any open cuts on your hands and you'll know it!

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins - 2008 F-350 w/ DPF delete - Four Farm Tractors - Two Homes. All on B100

Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.
I'm just talking out of complete ignorance here, but, can't you keep adding more glycerin (kinda like rebatching) until you can neutralize the excess lye?

posted Hide Post
Yes,

But if you are trying to add hardness its best to use a whole oil or fatty acid such as steric acid. The whole oil or fatty acid will use up more excess lye with less material.

I always check the pH of my soap and adjust accordingly. Usually with a bit of steric acid or lye water... depending.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post