BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    How to soften or convert glycerine to a solution

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to soften or convert glycerine to a solution
 Login/Join

posted
My glycerine sets up into a gel fairly quickly upon draining. Is there something to mix with it to take it back to a solution? I would like to spread it on marginal hay I'm feeding my cows.

Thanks

Location: Arkansas | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
I've always been taught that glycerin made from NaOH should not be used for animal feed. If you use KOH in your biodiesel, the animals will love it... but it shouldn't ever get too firm to flow.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My glycerine sets up into a gel fairly quickly upon draining. Is there something to mix with it to take it back to a solution?

Water

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make small amounts of biodiesel using KOH. The last time I made biodiesel, I drained the glycerin layer then demethed. I got a second glycerin layer to form after demething. The density of my second glycerin co-product was about 0.944 grams per milliliter. But the density of glycerol is supposed to be 1.26 grams per milliliter. I think the "glycerin " layer is a mixed co-product containing methanol, water, soap,residual catalyst, glycerine and maybe mono and diglycerides. It isn't pure glycerin. I checked the pH of my second glycerin layer with a test strip mixing distilled water and glycerin layer 50:50, the pH was equal to or greater than 10. Maybe adding pure glycerin to cattle feed is fine. But the crude glycerin from biodiesel production isn't pure. It has NaOH or KOH in it also (poison) it has some methanol in it also (poison). Maybe the cows like it but it may have detrimental long term effects on them. I wouldn't put it on my salad.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, water is the way to go.
As far as feeding the cows NaOh glycerin, its no problem according to any literature I have read, including this paper; http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/241.htm
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input fellas! I believe that I don't have much methanol in my glycerine since it hardens so quickly. My oil is a 2. I use 10% methanol, 2% 30% methoxide. It works great in small batches, I just have to figure out how long to mix on the larger batches.

Location: Arkansas | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks For the link Jon,

I think Wesley's concerns are still valid, though NaOH and KOH are not poisons, the pH effects on mouth and digestive tract would be something to study longer term.

What I find a little perplexing is that the definition of 'CRUDE' seems to cover so many mixtures.
Presumably most of us don't centrifuge, or even acidulate... so 'crude' to most of us is about 50% glycerol before de-mething, and 60% after ?

No waste but what we make...

Location: Gatwick | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post