BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Does anybody have some extra glycerol in the N Miami area?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody have some extra glycerol in the N Miami area?
 Login/Join

posted
Well, the title kinda says it all. I just finished reading Rick K's book (I highly recommend it), and now I'm itching to make a few test batches.
Would anybody living in the N Miami, S Broward County area like to sell me a few gallons of glycerol?
I don't need much. About 5 gallons would be perfect.

Thanks in advance... Smile

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If I were anywhere near you I'd be happy to GIVE you 20Lt's. I suspect anyone producing homebased biodiesel would as well. It's not like we don't have oodles of it lying around. There's gotta be someone who can pony up.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
I don't mind paying for it, but my problem is the shipping. Not only because it can be expensive, but because I suspect shipping glycerin may have its own set of challenges.
And, for what I see, biodiesel production is not that popular around here...

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish I could FEDEX you some of mine-I would love to see the look on the guy's face when he picked it up-cubies of glyc with flight tags on them!
Seriously though,I am sure someone local will help you.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It cannot be sent through the regular mail as in it's methanol laden form it is a HazMat. Some courrier companies (UPS ?) are liscenced to carry HazMat, but the shipper would have tocheck, and yes it would be expensive to ship; especially so from me as it would have to cross a border with all that that entails.Worst case you could conjure up a bunch of test batches and use the glyc from that.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berny,
Thanks for the plug on the book and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I'm sure you can find some glycerin in your area, If not I can send you some that has been demethed.

Again, If you have any questions or comments on the book please don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy Soaping!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick. I already finished your book, and my only comment (besides what I already said) is I WANT MORE!!! Big Grin

Taralec and Eagle: Yep, Not only I'm concerned about that, but I wouldn't be surprised that if I were to get a glycerin shipment from outside the U.S., I'd be probably receiving the FBI at my door right with the package, and good luck explaining to them the "glycerin" is actually under reacted soap...

I don't think I need that kind of visit.

posted Hide Post
Bernie,
Do a search for "florida" in the Biodiesel Connections section of these forums. I took a look and saw there are bunches of BD'ers there, probably some in South Florida. If you're willing to pick it up, I'll bet you can get as much as you want for free.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pb...
I just did a search for S Florida. 87 matches. Unfortunately, the last one was posted on December 2008...

Rick: I appreciate your offer, but I think shipping from Michigan to Miami would be too expensive (Unless you know something I don't).

Anyways, if nobody shows up, I'll contact you. Smile

posted Hide Post
Berny, You may want to put an add in the classifieds here, some Florida SVO guys may see it and know someone that can help you out?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just did. Thanks DoubleD.
Let's see if I get lucky...

posted Hide Post
If you get to SC I'm off 95and 20!

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!
Getting to where I need to be!

Location: SC | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bax SC:
If you get to SC I'm off 95and 20!

I wish I could, but I'm on foot... Frown
I got my car stolen last June.

Thanks anyways! Smile

posted Hide Post
How much do you want and what are you going to do with it?

posted Hide Post
Oh yea....I just sold 2 55 gallon drums of it to a car wash supply house in miami.

posted Hide Post
I need just a few gallons. 5 gallons or less would be perfect.
I want it to make a few soap test batches.
PM me if you have any at all, and let me know the price. Smile

posted Hide Post
Problem with sending demethed glycerine is its so damn heavy!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reece123:
Problem with sending demethed glycerine is its so damn heavy!

And sending with the methanol in it can be illegal as it is a HazMat and needs to be declared as such (class 3 flamable with a sub class of 6 Poisonous). NEVER send methed gly on an airplane; if they catch you at it the fines are astronomical. Ground ship only and properly tagged. *Fully* demethed glyc need not anything and can legally travel by air or by any other conveyance.
HTH

posted Hide Post
Where in MIA are you?
I might be able to help you

Location: Brooksville, Florida USA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just PM'd you. Smile