BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Glycerin in city sewer?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerin in city sewer?
 Login/Join

posted
Is it possible, and safe to dispose of glycerin by-product through the city waste water system?

I had thought it was, and would like to follow up on this with my city. It is a small city, so the bureaucracy may not be as bad.

What is the effect of our glycerin in the treatment plant? How do I approach them? How do I explain what is in the glycerin exactly?

I am using both KOH and NaOH, but mostly NaOh as catalyst. I am doing 100 gallon batches, so 20 gallons of waste glycerin every 2 weeks or so.

Suggestions?

Mr Fixit

Location: N.E. Texas | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought is if you did methanol recovery and second thought is if you add enough water to it you can probably dilute it enough. When we talked with our treatment plant about sending our soapy water (methanol free) they were okay with it because there was little chance that it would gum up the works or kill their bacteria.
My suggestion is to talk to the treatment plant about sending your glycerin to them directly for mixing into their processing system. We have been doing some work with anaerobic digestion and found that it generally won't kill the critters, as long as the methanol is out. I would tell them what you know it to be, the MG, DG, residual catalyst, junk that made it from a fryer into the reactor, and glycerin. I haven't made a pitch like that yet, so I can't really advise

-Andrew Kamerosky
Dickinson College '10
Environmental Studies and Geology
Biodiesel Intern

Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: December 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Find" feature should turn up a lot of discussion on this topic, but here's a thread from last week discussing the matter.

Each situation is unique and should be treated as such.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

George Orwell