BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Cardboard+Glycerine=Fuel logs?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardboard+Glycerine=Fuel logs?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now. I have a sawmill so I produce a lot of sawdust and I am sitting on about 500 gallons of glycerol. I just built a new recovery still and will start recovering as soon as it warms up a bit. Probably in the next two weeks.

We heat our house and two greenhouses with an outdoor wood boiler - a Central Boiler 7260 to be exact.

I have two 5 foot x 10 inch cardboard tubes I need to get rid of.

If I mix the demethed glycerin with enough sawdust to create a semi dry mix and stuff the cardboard tubes with it how long will it keep? weeks? months? forever?

My main concern and the reason I keep putting this off is acrolein. The boiler shuts down when the water temp hits 185°F and whatever is in the box smolders until the water temp drops sufficiently to open the damper. Is there a danger of being downwind should the stove shut down while a glycerin log is in it? Is there a danger to opeing the door to load the stove if a glycerin log is not completely burned?

The loading door is large - approx 30"x40".

The smell of my exhaust makes me hungry!
www.rwtbiodiesel.com

Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
how long will it keep? weeks? months? forever?

I see no change after months, however I've never kept any for 'forever' so I can't say.

quote:
My main concern and the reason I keep putting this off is acrolein. The boiler shuts down when the water temp hits 185°F and whatever is in the box smolders until the water temp drops sufficiently to open the damper. Is there a danger of being downwind should the stove shut down while a glycerin log is in it?

yes
quote:

Is there a danger to opeing the door to load the stove if a glycerin log is not completely burned?

yes

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. That confirms my suspicions. Glycerol/sawdust logs should only be used in stoves burning wide open.
I will shelve this idea.

The smell of my exhaust makes me hungry!
www.rwtbiodiesel.com

Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be OK with smaller amounts that will burn completely. That's why I use 1/2 gal milk cartons for my glycerin/VO sludge 'bricks'.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hay new to the forum just taught i'd add my 2 cents. I've been mixing VO sludge with sawdust in a 1:4 ratio, leave it to sit over night then roll up about a liter of the mix in news paper to make a log shape. Burns well with plenty of heat and a nice bright flame and takes minutes to make.

posted Hide Post
I just started giving away a mix of demethed gylcerin, spent drywash wood shavings, and wood chips from a tree service all mixed together. the guy I am giving it to loves the stuff, he has only been a week into the experiment, and says he started out putting the mix on top of a bed of coals, but he said it burns so nicely, that is all he has been using to heat with since day two. no other wood. just chips mixed with glycerin. He didn't seem to have any complaints about the smoke. he only said it was a little messy. We pretty much mixed in as much glycerin as the chips would take. I think that is way more than most here have been mixing in. he said It seems to last as long as the coal he burns. The first dump trailer load of chips got rid of about 175 gallons of glycerin. I've got another trailer load of chips ready. we just stick the hose from the demther into the chips and let her fly while the stuff is hot. As far as the mess goes, I may have to find a bunch of old motar mixing boxes and move them with the forks. I wouldn't want anything smaller, we make too much by product to use carpet tubes or cubes. Anyone have any ideas for bulk storage that would be easy to shovel out of? I would think a barrel would be a pain.

I just picked up a drum heater, what should I set it at to get the barrels of demethed glycerin to remelt, so I can mix that stuff in and get rid of some of it too?
Finally! A way to get rid of this stuff! I know about six people with outdoor burners here.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post