BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Lubricating Grease

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubricating Grease
 Login/Join

posted
I saw a TV show about the making of lubricating grease. The first step is making a big vat of soap out of the base stock. Then additives are added to get the properties the grease needs for a specific application.

Could biodiesel glycerin be used as a base stock for lubricating grease? Anyone here know of a small grease manufacture that you could talk to and ask a few questions?

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you find anything on this yet?

posted Hide Post
If you make liquid soap and tone down the water used it will thicken up. I'll go on a limb here and add if you then take cornstarch and dump a bunch into the soap it will get pretty thick.

How this would fare against proper lubricating grease though is a guess. One way to find out ...

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be a good upside, too, especially on the farm equipment: KOH glycerin "grease" is going to be way more biodegradable than standard grease.

I could see its use on old-school chain-drive manure spreaders, hay rakes, hay balers, etc. (all the old, half-functional stuff I grew up with) where you about lay the grease on with a 5gal bucket and a glove.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how well it works as a high load lubricant but they sure get a pretty penny for it when sold as biodegraidable "tire soap" or "rubber lube".

This links to Napa's house brand, $7.99/gallon, Napa's Belknap brand named "Ruglyde" version of the same thing sells for $14.49/ gallon.

This links to all the Napa versions and sizes of there veg soap lubes.

This material safety sheet for the Ruglyde says it contains Potassium vegitable oil soap plus a bit of ethylene glycol. from reading other web discussions this helps keep it from drying out.

The safety sheet for the generic version here does not list the ingerdiants, just that it is non-toxic.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post