BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Cosmetic Additives -

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cosmetic Additives -
 Login/Join

posted
I have said it numerous times, and will say it again; before you go and start adding stuff to soap ect. it would be a really good idea to investigate the various substances and how they could potentially impact your health.
This article contains a plethora of information concerning several chemicals that are commonly found in many commercial cosmetics. Might be worth it to take a few minutes and read it over.
Also, for those sceptical that actual petroleum is used in commercial soaps I leave you with Dr. Bronner's evaluation.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article has some significant errors. For example if one actually examines the MSDS for propylene glycol one will discover that the author's statements are unfounded. Propylene glycol is not hazardous waste.
quote:
Environmental Fate:
When released into the soil, this material is expected to readily biodegrade. When released into the soil, this material is expected to leach into groundwater. When released into water, this material is expected to readily biodegrade. When released into the air, this material is expected to be readily degraded by reaction with photochemically produced hydroxyl radicals. When released into the air, this material is expected to have a half-life between 1 and 10 days.
Environmental Toxicity:
No information found.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
JT Baker MSDS concurs. I beliveve that in this case the author may have confused propolyene with ethylene glycol which IS a major health concern.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's probably what happened. The only place we see ethylene glycol commonly used is in vehicles. I'm familiar with the difference between the glycols because propylene glycol is now required in all anti-freeze applications in heating systems for schools and public buildings where exposure to children might occur. Most contractors now use the non-toxic propylene glycol in all building applications.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post