BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    glycerin smells like fish???

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glycerin smells like fish???
 Login/Join

posted
After reclaiming the metnanol the left over glys has a fish oil smell to it. Is this normal? I hope to use it as soap but I really would like to have a beter fragrance than that.
Anyone else had this issue?

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

posted Hide Post
btt

posted Hide Post
You can always use it to wash the cat, the bird cage, the aquarium ... Razz If the smell is THAT pronouced you may have to fiddle with some pretty strong scents to overcome it. The smell won't impart to the skin or hair but still ... fish ? Even I would think several times about that one. Big Grin

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you use phosphoric acid to neutralize the lye?
If you did you might be smelling Phosphine.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't done anything but drain the gls and demeth it. I use about 4000 grams koh to a 75 gallons of used vegie oil so when I'm finished recovering the methanol it is ready to use as liquid soap. But............... It smells like fish??????

posted Hide Post
Process it using a strong essential oil like Cedar.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Use it for fish bait. It'll probably catch catfish.

05 Dmax Taking a break from the daily grind.

81 Isuzu Pup Mine, B100 and for sale.

85 Isuzu Pup Wife's, B100 and soon to have winter B100 commuter tank.

Location: Less than a year behind myself and gaining ground. | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greastart:
Use it for fish bait. It'll probably catch catfish.

Word of warning: Using liquid oils or the like for bear baiting is restricted or prohibited in most states. Concerns about groundwater contamination. Probably wouldn't happen with glycerin the same as with cooking oil but try explaining that to a game warden.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they just cooked fish with the oil and it has concentrated in the glycerol.

You could try bubbling air/ozone through it, from memory smells are free radicals and are easily oxidized/zapped.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post