BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Eternal glycerine No-Man's Land!

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eternal glycerine No-Man's Land!
 Login/Join

posted
Ok everbody, thanks for the incredible info y'all have provided here in making homebrewing possible! So much for the easy part! Smile It seems to me most of us are in the zone of too much glycerin to make soap, too little glycerin to invest in heating with it.....
I think the next frontier here is in dealing with the by-product build-up. Anybody have any new, original ideas for this stuff? Moss preventative for our roofs? Aphrodisiac for our wives? Attitude adjustment for the teenagers?

Location: Seattle | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They add glycerin to liqueur's, it can be used as a sweetener and makes a good antifreeze. If you can distill it, it is an extremely useful product.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, getting to a purer grade makes it more valuable but I was thinking "raw form"..... I had a brainstorm last summer - I spend a lot of time and money dealing with algae in my pond and wondered if the stuff was a decent algaecide (no fish in my pond). I am confident the answer is "No!". All it did was turn my pond milky white and give the algae a snack.
I'm wondering if the answer lies in an automotive market - maybe our crude glycerin will be good feedstock for antifreeze, "green lubricants" (Hey, why not?), degreasers, or ?????
The only thing we can be certain of is the ingenuity of motivated individuals (Well, and higher taxes) and I bet someone here will figure out something. That glycerin stuff is amazing!

Location: Seattle | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember who it was, but one forum member made a raised bed garden using the cubies of glycerine byproduct as the perimeter. The cubies protect the raised bed from freezing weather.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I was trying to brighten some teak and read somewhere that a home remedy was to add bleach to ordinary household detergent. Lacking actual detergent (Yeah, I use this glycerin almost everywhere in my house and still can't slow down the accumulation!) I grabbed some glycerin and added about 25% bleach to it in a jar and started stirring..... kinda disgusting looking goo was about all that transpired and did very little to brighten my teak so I just left the jar sitting there and went about rinsing that crap off the teak. Well, a short time later, I happened to walk by the jar and was amazed at the chemical reaction going on - that goo was turning into the most beautiful looking amber soap I had ever seen! Well, at least it looked good - that amber liquid wouldn't bleach anything and when I threw a cup of it into the washing machine it wouldn't even suds either so I'm guessing the bleach and soap "ate" each other.

posted Hide Post
There's whole discussions on this subject, use the search function, don't be lazy.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gday,I recently disposed of a 1000 litres by adding 12 litres of phosphoric acid and spraying it out on 8 hectares.No results yet as the ground is bone dry and it is still bone dry.regards Westwinds.Further info on Australian biofuels forum under glycerine spray cart

Location: NSW west of the blue mountions | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hand car wash places. Make up a dillute liquid soap and give them a cubie and a phone number.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post