BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Composting lots of Glycerine

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Composting lots of Glycerine
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Everyone,

I've read other threads about composting waste glycerine, and I know it can be done, but my situation is a bit different. I work in hazardous waste disposal - a program run by the local government - and I'm researching a better method of disposal for the glycerine we're accepting.

We receive lots of glycerine from homebrewers all over the community, which means it's raw and varying in its waste constituents. Glycerine diversity is one concern, volume is the other. Currently, the waste glycerine is combined with other flammable liquids and shipped across the country to be used as an alternative fuel source at a cement kiln. I would like another option, one that is a bit more environmentally responsible. I would like to be able to simply add all of our glycerine to our organics pile, which ends up as compost and is sold back to the community. However, I'm not sure how much glycerine a compost pile can handle.

Any ideas? Is there something better than compost?

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Composting from various sources that use combined caustics can do more harm than good. Glyc produced using KOH does a better job and then it needs to be volumed into the compost, not straight.

A viable avenue for combined glyc still containing the methanol is anaerobic digester type water treatment plants. The bacteria THRIVE on it and they can use quite a bit of it.

Partially demethed and dilluted it can also be used instead of diesel fuel for road paving equipment's tools and truck beds to stop the paving tar from sticking.

Paper mills usually have HUGE boilers that burn almost anything; another possibility.It works here.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently, the waste glycerine is combined with other flammable liquids and shipped across the country to be used as an alternative fuel source at a cement kiln. I would like another option, one that is a bit more environmentally responsible.

Apart from the shipping, and as long as they burn it well, burning it instead of some fossil fuel seems pretty good. Like Legal says, are there any other factories that need lots of heat closer to home? Anyone burning WMO, from what I gather, may be able to mix it in, depending on the burner.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The "glycerine burning" waste oil furnaces and boilers I have seen advertised seem to hide a little something in the fine print, and that is that the volume of glyc should not go past 50% mixed with a thinner less viscous oil.

To be practical that means constant mixing as the glyc will separate out of any other WVO or biodiesel used. Maybe it doesn't in motor oil or hydraulic oil, I dunno.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dickinson college in Pennsylvania was doing some study of using the glycerin for composting, you may want to get in touch with Matt Steiman there.

posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving.