Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ant mound control
 Login/Join

posted
I tried this a few weeks back with my koh glycerine and it worked. I mixed water and glycerin 50:50 and poured it around the base and over the tops of some mounds that were in my back yard. No more ants after 2 days just a brown spot on the lawn. But I can live with that for a few weeks till it grows back.

Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was your glycerin demethed, or was there still methanol in it? Interesting use.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Demethed had some left over from soap making so I tried it out.

Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wash water and bottom of the barrel veg works also, I hope. I have several huge biting black ant nests on my Arizona property, I don't know how big the main nest is underground but I have tried to eliminate it for over 30 years now, flooding the nest with huge amounts of plain water stopped the activity for a couple of years but the ants returned, the nest opening was about a foot across and 4 inches deep, looked like something out of a 50's B movie. This last summer I dumped 6-7 cubies of veg wash water and a couple cubies of bottom of the barrel veg down the opening before it quit taking fluids. No more activity for the rest of the summer but it will be interesting to see if activity returns ??

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a true 50's B movie scenario and the mutated ants come out of the mound and they're 6" long, hungry and have a real attitude problem! lol

"This biodiesel tis a cruel and heartless mistress we home brewers have chosen"

Location: MA | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could happen, they are already 1/2 to 5/8 inch long and there bites burn like hell, I have seen several grown men drop there pants in public to dig out the ants as they like to crawl up inside your pants leg and get into the nooks and crannies around your waist, and elsewhere, well, you know, they get pinched as you move around so they bight back, the intense burn from the bits lasts for several minutes.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post