Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glycerin
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone know how to get pure gly from waste gly, i have heard that it can be done by heat and acid added to break down the gly any clues would be helpful> send instruction to my email on file thanks. i have 1000 gallon and any one that has a use for it can have it. stored in 55 gallon drums or will pump it into your 250 gallon tote.

Location: roanoke va | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that it must be distilled in order to get pure glycerin from crude.
It will likely be a complicated and expensive process due to all the impurity's in biodiesel glycerin that will also be gassing off and entering the condenser.
This is just speculation on my part though, I am sure someone who actually knows the answer will give you some input you can use. Wink
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon is right distillation is the only way to get pure glycerin. Just to add to the challenge it has to be done under high vacuum because the boiling point at atmospheric pressure is very close to the temperature at which it decomposes into acrolein.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what purity your looking for.
Splitting the byproduct by acidulation, decanting the layers, then distilling the water off the glycerol layer can produce >80% or so purity glycerol. what % purity are you looking for?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post