BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Glycerine as wood stove fuel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerine as wood stove fuel
 Login/Join

posted
Well i've made my first batches of bio and all is going well and the van is running great on 100% even though we are getting frosty mornings now.I have a wood burning stove and wonder how to use the glycerine as fuel-do you soak sawdust with it and make sort of bricks or soak logs with it and burn these,has anyone any tips please?Also presumably you don't bother getting rid of the remaining meth and lye or does this chew up your chimney and stove.I was planning to fill a 4 inch drain pipe with wood shavings and sawdust,pour in the glycerine-let it soak thru-then ram it down hard and extrude it out of the pipe and try and cut the product into log lengths for burning.I am planning to only add this to the stove once its going well-but are there any issues with fumes for my neighbours?Any help/thoughts greatly appreciated and what a fantastic forum this is

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use milk cartons to contain the sawdust mix, it's much easier.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello
I saw your post and I was wondering if you got any good replies to your question?
If you did could you please let me in on how to produce these bricks?
Ive been looking to get info about this idea.
I live in Vermont and have lots of wood mills around these parts.
Mostly soft woods but there are hard wood mills too if its better to use.

thanks for your help and foir reading

Location: greenmtn's | Registered: November 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi greenmtnman
Only John's kind reply above so far,but it makes sense what he says-I haven't actually chain sawed up any wood yet this year-still using last years stock at mo-so haven't actually tried it yet but its on the list-will let you know what happens in the next week or so

posted Hide Post
Hi Greenmtnman
Tried it today on a small scale,-mixed wood dust/chippings (chain saw debris)predominently pine with de-methed byproduct-more wood than by product,(it would just form a ball if squeezed hard in the hand) and packed it into cardboard tubes from toilet rolls/kitchen rolls.Added some tubes to the already burning wood burning stove and shut the doors-well it burns very hot,could feel the radiant heat thru the quartz door windows from several feet away-much hotter than wood and this was with the air vents shut,quite a quick burn time,but then these are only small tubes-I checked outside to see if I could smell anything nasty-nothing noticeable beyond the wood smell-nor did my neighbours mention anything(quite a few about this morning).Once the stove had calmed down,I checked for any oily residue-all I had were tubes of ash,which collapsed on prodding.So all good so far,all in all I burnt about 20 tubes.
I will use these byproduct tubes for a boost on colder nights-but not many at a time,it really goes for it,don't want the chimney stack on fire either.But its given me a way of using up my chain saw dust and my ever increasing glycerine pile.

posted Hide Post
tomorrow I'll be making a bunch these type tubes..

we use Pringle potato chip cans.. but the idea is the same. mix with sawdust and compress. then just throw the can on the hot fire.

I have 45 gallons of glycerin to make into log...yikes..
we also use paper cups from fast food restruants.
Wendy's, burger king, Mcdonalds and others.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post