Find
Notify
Tools

glycerol burner??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
nice site Tom

love those double handled drums

any idea if I could get those here in the UK?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Homestead where you talking deg C or deg F there? Got any pics?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody,
I would like to buy a waste oil/ or glycerin burner to heat my garage. I understand glycerin burning can be quite cheep, glycerin is basically a waste product. But where can I actually buy a glycerin burner. everybody is talking about it, but does anybody actually have it? There is one company in Ohio, they say they have a patented technology http://www.glycerinburners.com/ anybody heard about them?

posted Hide Post
Looks very interesting, but this is not a warm fuzzy...

"The requested URL /MK_GLYCERIN_BURNER-Specifications.pdf was not found on this server.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built one out of an old waterheater and I jacketed it with a 55 gallon drum, I fee water into the jacket of the 55 gallon drum while I burn the glycerin and heat 150 gallons of water to 170 f in about 2 hours. I use an air motor to turn a chevy oil pump to pump the glycerin into the heater, It is ugly but it works great. I use a fan from a Genn Air Grill for air, this thing burns clean, no smoke at all. I gravity feed fro the 55 gallon drum to my 150 gallon hot water tank @ about 5 gallons a min that way the system is open and I don't have to worry about pressure building up. It's a good thing I have boild the water in the 55 gallon drumb many times. This thing has reduced my price per gallon some but the best thing is I am able to get rid of the glycerin. The only problem I have right now is that it is so efficiant that it only takes 5 gallond of glycerin to heat up 150 gallons of water to 170f and when I make the batch I get 10 gallons of glycerin out. I am still in the hole 5 gallons per batch. I guess I will have to build another one and heat the house this winter.

Location: NC | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I built one out of an old waterheater and I jacketed it with a 55 gallon drum...

I started to build one like that, then moved and realized it would end up too tall for my new shop. Then my dad gave me an old wood burner, so that's heating the shop now. If anybody wants the parts I started building for the drum-over water heater tank burner, you can have them if you can get to Southern WI to get them. I'm unlikely to ever get around to finishing it, since I don't have a need anymore. Nobody in my extended family would want to run something I built myself.

Here's what I have that you could have:
Burn chamber

Untested Burner unit

with a 1/4" nozzle

and an atomization pressurized air inlet

I should probably include this, too: the original "plan."

PM me to set something up if you are interested.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the guy that designed that biodiesel glycerol burner passed away over a year ago. I tried contacting them and his business partner said the inventor had passed suddenly and unfortunately his design went with him. Doh.

Dead links remain here:
http://www.biomassguy.com/manuals-specs-links.htm (scroll down) , if I have the file I'll try to post it somewhere, still searching my computers. I think biomassguy is his business partner, not sure tho.

Over 15000L of B100 produced. Burns in 01' F250 7.3L, 06' Jetta TDI, 02' Jetta TDI. Biopro190 owner since Oct2014.

Location: Vancouver BC Canada | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, you reminded me I still have those parts sitting around, buried out behind the shed.

The "wood burner from dad" that I mentioned actually almost burned my shop down a couple years ago; I have an LP unit in there now. I trust it to run unsupervised, which is something I would have NEVER do with the wood burner. I went inside for lunch and in that 30min period it torched its separate building it was in to the ground. Frown

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post