BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Pig farmer wants my glycerine because?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pig farmer wants my glycerine because?
 Login/Join

posted
I know a pig farmer with a manure lagoon and an owner of a paving company.

Anyone know where I can find documentation that "proves" or explains why my glycerine with methanol would help his manure lagoon? I've googled, but haven't found a reliable site that provides the data. I would even call a farmer or paving company who uses the glycerine for a recommendation. Live in North Carolina and thought NC State University's Agriculture Dept, might have a study, but no response yet.

As for the paving company, they might have a kiln or burner that can handle the glycerine? Any advice on starting the conversation--probably giving owner a 5 gallon tote and letting him experiment?

If anyone is interested, I added some uses/places who use my soap. Maybe it could give some of you some ideas or places to peddle your soap.

posted Hide Post
I was told by a producer of bio fuel that the glycerin they produce is given to a paving company to help the asphalt from sticking to their equipment. When I did paving years ago we used to spray diesel fuel in the truck bodies to keep it from sticking in the dump bodies. This is no longer allowed by the EPA, so the used glycerine might do the trick. I know a paving contractor locally and I am going to give him some of my glycerin to try. My concern about this is how flammable is the glycerine with the methanol still in it? Chris NJ

Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to contact a paving co owner tomorrow. I will let you know what I discover.

posted Hide Post
Why aren't you de-mething your glycerin?

And, then I would think that it could be added to the pig food. Perhaps not a lot of nutritional value, but it should have good caloric content. I would think it would also act as a binder when pelleting.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am demething glycerine 4 gallons at a time in my little 5 gal distiller. I currently have 200 bars of soap and 55 gallons of liquid stored and I, friends, and family use it everyday. I hope to ditch my 40 gallon appleseed style hot water heater and use it for a larger distiller ASAP or include distiller in the new processor. Just got a used 90 gallon gas hot water heater with the cone shaped tank that I desperately need--my processor is flat bottom and has to be tilted to get all glycerine out. Once my husband reworks the gas heater into a processor (should investigate a different agitation setup for more effective/quicker conversion) I hope to dig into the stock pile. I have 70 gal of stored glycerin with meth and can't keep up with my small distiller.

Any published data/evidence about the demethed glycerin for cattle/pig food? Universities experimenting supposedly, but no farmer in my neck of the woods is willing to use it--not even my KOH glycerine for fertilizer. Co worker Ag science teacher raises beef and is interested but I haven't got a done deal publication, proving to him that my glycerin is demethed to a safe standard.He has a master's in ag science and was raised on a dairy farm, graduated from Clemson--educated and open minded but raising organic beef and wants evidence from other farmers/studies. Then would need to know that I demethed appropriately. Same with my liquid soap. My supt of school and maint dept would like to "officially" buy my liquid soap but I want to PROVE that I have demethed to a safe level so I know it and they know it. I have contacted a lab that is willing to analyze and give spec sheet down to 100ppms--they test for Proctor and Gamble, but I was told I needed to find out the acceptable methanol ppm so I would know if my soap analysis met the standard. I use my soap and others do, but several people who know bio takes methanol want to know that I have removed the meth in the glycerin purification process. So if anyone has a lab on retainer or any other advice on gathering evidence for manure lagoon, paving co, or school buying my soap. So far I just give it away to people who are willing to use it or ask for it. I have read the threads about the miniscule ppm methanol that's in my soap, but I need to prove it b4 I sell it to my school and become liable--800 people coming in contact with it on some level daily so I need to prove it's green and safe.

I am asked for the soap weekly, and would love to sell it with a label and spec sheet to cover my bases.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Any published data/evidence about the demethed glycerin for cattle/pig food?
http://www.google.ca/search?hl...=&btnG=Google+Search

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Biodiesel Glycerol for ruminants University of Ohio
http://hdl.handle.net/1811/25219

Uni of Missouri
http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../05/070525090245.htm

NC State Uni
http://www.thepigsite.com/arti...rol-for-growing-pigs

Australian Study
http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/241.htm#P0_0

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the U of Ohio-based stuff a few years ago. Basically, adding glycerin to the diet of cows reduces the incidence of ketoacidosis, a diabetes-like affliction that results in excess sugar in the blood and the breaking down of fatty acids, from what I think I understand.

The presence of methanol in the glycerin was found to not be harmful for cows. May not be harmful to pigs either, as apparently many animals can process methanol.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the links everyone. I have forwarded them to beef and pig farmers.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm,

Interesting with the ketoacidosis.

You have the basic idea, but the wrong mechanism.

In Humans, Insulin and the Insulin Receptors are required to get GLUCOSE (basic sugar) into the cells.
Sugars, Carbohydrates, and etc can be converted to Glucose.

Fats CAN NOT BE CONVERTED TO GLUCOSE, but rather are converted directly to energy, or to "Keytone Bodies" which then can be utilized as energy, essentially Acetone.

The Brain can only utilize GLUCOSE for energy (and, possibly Glycerin). It can not utilize Fat for energy. Nope, thinking about diet and exercise isn't equivalent to the diet.

So, Diabetes is a case where either the body fails to produce adequate insulin (Type 1 Diabetes), or the Insulin Receptors malfunction (Type 2 Diabetes).

When either one is uncontrolled, the body ends up with large amounts of glucose in the blood stream (which can be picked up with a urine screen, blood screen, etc). However, the body acts like it is starving (can't get the glucose into the cells). So, it starts breaking down fat/oils for stored energy. This energy is transmitted around the body in keytone bodies... Something that is relatively normal. However, since the body is getting signals of starving, it does this in excess, and thus one gets ketoacidosis.

I hadn't heard of bovine diabetes.

However, there is a special type of human diabetes called "Gestational Diabetes". Essentially pregnant women can get many of the symptoms of diabetes, which then go away for the most part after childbirth.

My guess is that the diabetes-like symptoms are being found in pregnant (and probably lactating) dairy cattle.

And, it would be very interesting if glycerin can help with it.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey tlrw, I was out today and ran into a paving job close to home. I know the foreman and asked if he would try my glycerine to keep the asphalt from sticking to his paving machine and tools(rakes and shovels) well he laughed but said he would try it. When the guys pave they usually have a 5 gal bucket half full of diesel fuel and they stick the shovel or rake in to get some fuel on the metal so the tar dont stick. Well the guys liked my glycerine so much that they didnt even use the bucket of diesel at all. When the wet diesel shovel is put back to use you get a little steam or vapor coming off it when it goes back into the hot asphalt and by the days end the guys say they reak of diesel fuel. The odor/steam that came off with the glycerine was much more pleasant and the guys didnt mind it one bit nor did it burn thier eyes as diesel does at times. The glyc kept the rakes and shovels just as clean as the diesel, so they kept the bucket and are going to spray some in their truck bodies on Monday and let me know.

Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news it seems. I live several miles from an asphalt plant and owner also has a paving company, so Mon I will drop off a bucket and see what happens.

Was the glycerin demethed? I demeth for liq soap and hopefully a pig farmer will try demethed gly for food additive. I assume the paving use would not need the methanol for that particular use?

Thanks for info. Smile

posted Hide Post
I gave him the bucket with the meth in it. The guys were very happy with it and said they would raather go home smelling like a happy meal than diesel fuel. I was wondering the dangers of giving it to them with the meth in it if you know of any? I tried to light it with a match and small torch but it didnt really flame up at all.

posted Hide Post
good post keelac, thankyou. I learnt some good stuff

posted Hide Post
If I use my glycerin/with methanol to pretreat WVO, will the meth level be drastically reduced in the glycerin? I know it will be lower, but I wondered if I should still distill before giving a cubie to local paving co. Of course I would tell them about the meth, but hope the amt would be significantly lower? What if I took the glycerin used for pretreatment, put it in open 55 gal barrel and left top off, stirring? Would the leftover meth evaporate, for the most part?

posted Hide Post
tlrw a fair few experiments have shown that airing glycerine will not drive off methanol to any significant values. You really need the raw heat to get rid of it. Personally I would distill before giving to your friends. Never know tho, the methanol could give it some 'non stick' properties, doubt it but who knows..

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would distill before giving to your friends.

I agree, distill the methanol out of the glycerin. The methanol is too valuable to 'throw away' and removing it makes the glycerin non toxic so it can be given away without concerns for health and safety.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without "testing" my demethed/distilled glycerin with some data analysis, here's what I would do before I let the paving co test it out. My distiller is small. Distill 4 gallons through condenser up to 230 head temp (so pot temp would be higher?). Meth even bound to glycerin shows up at this temp, and I even get a lot of glycerine in my container. At this this point, my glycerin is pretty thick for KOH glycerin, so can I assume that my glycerin is clean enough to give out? I know there is a trace amount.

I myself am very sensitive to chemicals, detergents, so I don't want to take any chances--which is why I have yet to Sell any soap. A pig farmer is interested in supplementing his pig feed since I emailed him the cattle/pig links that I got on this forum. Thanks John and Legal.

posted Hide Post
If you are distilling to a head temp of 230F the pot is sufficiently hot enough to evaporate the glycerine itself (375F). It's too hot. When the head tem has reached 150-152F the pot is around 260-265F and that is plenty. If you run that long enough so that only a spittle of a tricvkle is left coming out of the condenser your glyc is good to go for soap/ect.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Legal,
I change out my collection container after my top temp gauge hits 160 F. I was thinking that the water would come next, and then when the temp gauge hits around 200 I start getting glycerine. My top temp gauge is showing 150 approx when I start getting anything in collection container. When I get near 180 I change containers and was thinking that water was now distilling out, and the dark glycerine starts around 200. My soap should be very safe in terms of methanol. I cure and test on skin/tongue test. Just bought ph strips to check the soap and ph of my wash water.