BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Burning Glycerol Question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning Glycerol Question
 Login/Join

posted
I don't have a new use suggestion for the glycerol byproduct, just a question about how to deal with it. If I'm in the wrong forum with this discussion then let me know please.

I'm wondering about burning it in order to dispose of this stuff. I have no interest in making soap as I have several hundred gallons a month to deal with.

Here's what i got. I use KOH. I use it to pretreat WVO with before transesterification. It comes out thick and gooey as if I used NaOH.

I have seen Turk burner designs online BUT I've never talked to anyone thats doing it and wondeed if there is someone with a design that is having success running thick gblycerine in theirs?

Thanks for any leads. I would like to consider using this for process heat etc.

godleisles

posted Hide Post
I've burned a mess load of it, but it was in a pot stove type of arrangement, and it left a thick coating of tar-like goo that hardened once it was burned. Don't know how this would work, or if it would, in a Turk.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
john galt-

In what arrangement, or should I say with what apparatus, did you use to burn this mixture with. My buddies have a cabinet shop AND do mill work. I got lots of saw dust and wood shavings. I would like to try something other than my "fire logs" that didn't work real good. I need a solution for my stock pile.

posted Hide Post
That's interesting.

What do you know about the dangerous gas produced by the glycerol if its not burning hot enough? This is the only thing that makes me apprehensive to burning it. I guess thats why you got it in an "air-tight" closed cumbustion chamber.

I'm in sunny SOCAL and don't need much shop heat but need the solution to liquidating my glycerol. I'm wondering about a small gasifier unit I found for sale. I'd like to know if it would take the stuff. Seems like making "bricks" makes the glycerol more "palatable" for an oven etc. At least you don't have to drip it in.

posted Hide Post
Acrolein is a nasty toxic substance, but you won't be getting any if your fire is already hot when you add glyc logs to it. Smoldering fire is where you want to be extra careful, but a good hot flame isn't going to cause you any more concern than any other fire.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked that up the very first time I saw it!

Its something like..."Quest...." Oh, I won't give it away!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Acrolein is a nasty toxic substance

I can speak for this from person experience now. I have a new area to watch out for acrolein: not just "cool" burning in a fire, but in your methanol still if you mistakenly let the still cool a bit much and the pump won't move the thick glycerine anymore. Yeah, then when you burn the glycerin on your heating element, it will fill the head space in your still with acrolein.

And your methanol drum at the end of the condenser...

And the shop after you've stopped the heating and the pump and you cracked open said drum to figure out what's wrong...

And every time you pull the air pressure off the drum and it puffs back out while trying to force the glycerin out since the pump isn't working anymore...

Yep: nasty, noxious stuff. I can see why it was used for chemical weapons. I didn't want to breath, my eyes watered so bad I could barely see. It was like the worst wood smoke you ever had blow in your eyes around the campfire, times 10.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post