BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Surfactant/adjuvant for herbicide?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surfactant/adjuvant for herbicide?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I've got a nasty blackberry bramble to get rid of. It's so nasty a goat hanged itself in there. Herbicides like to use a surfactant, and I'm wondering if either the glycerine bi-product or the soapy biodiesel itself might be suitable to mix with a water-based herbicide?

George Reiswig
North by Northwest Expedition
1983 Mercedes 416 Doka
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
http://www.4x4wire.com/mercedes/nnw/intro.htm

posted Hide Post
The glycerin itself is a surfactant.
NaOH based glycerin might help to "burn" out the plant.
You may want to fully saponify the glycerin as there are still saponifiable elements within the glycerin.

I would say try it both ways and see.

Let us know the results!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you are still using water the first wash water will get things started and then use your glycerine, methnaol still init, diluted to very runy and give it a good dose.I am assuming NaOH as the caustic. The above combination will kill anything green. I inadvertantly did in a full grown pine tree this way.Dumb and stupid, but then experience is the best education.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point on the water Legal!

My driveway has been weed free since I started with biodiesel.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post