Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kleen Sweep
 Login/Join

posted
Has any one made a sweeping compound out of the BD glycerine?
Something like this................ http://www.northerntool.com/we..._200342357_200342357

Location: Greer S.C. | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not a dry compound but you can use demethed glycerine cut 50/50 with water as a degreaser. Then simply rinse with warm water.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is one that says it contains BD glycerine. I just wish i had the recipe... http://www.thecarycompany.com/...sweepingcompund.html

Location: Greer S.C. | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool!
I use allot of that sweeping compound in the garage and shop and I hate sweeping without it now. It appears to just be sawdust mixed with something sticky like oil (or glycerin Smile ) to stick to the dust to keep it from clouding up and giving you the dreaded black boogie syndrome... Big Grin
Here is the MSDS though it gives no insight...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yea, i get nothing from the msds. this is something i will play around with. if someone could figure it out, it would be another out for the byproduct. mabye one with some profit......

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Not a dry compound but you can use demethed glycerine cut 50/50 with water as a degreaser. Then simply rinse with warm water.

Legal,
Thank you again for sharing with us on this and so many other topics.
(sorry this is long but I think important to hopefully more than myself)
Like the rest of us, I want to close the loop on the process
and do the right responsible and green thing with our byproduct. As many of you have pointed out
and provided links that confirm for us that some have got it figured out.
( Kleen Sweep, BDG Antifreeze ) Costco selling a BDG cleaner degreaser. They are making more money with the Glycerin stream than us the producers make from the Biodiesel Stream.
Never will understand how many business modeled and went to production without a plan for the glycerin stream other than dumping it somewhere!! Trying to figure out a way that a small local
producer can turn glycerin in to $$ and maximize this resource too . Purifying with Acid some say you can get to 90% some say less. Distillation under vacuum is beyond our budget. I keep coming back to the personal soap model but worry about the Legal ( pardon the pun ) exposure. I do have an industrial customer loving your recipe on their washline. I sell them 1/2 and 1/2 (with or without caustic (KOH ) doesnt make a difference to them). I made a racehorse deal with them @ $100 /55 gal drum and they had to provide feedback on performance ( Win / Win ) and still Almost $4.00 Gal for the BDG. (Need an MSDS to promote to Industry )
I have several opportunites in my area that buy wood shavings/sawdust to burn to generate heat for their processes. Would the addition of Glycerin to this material generate a higher temperature than the shavings alone ? As an adder to a boiler in constant operation the Acrolein potential is removed ?? I believe the shavings would also burn longer requiring less shavings? would add value and justify a premium ?? Since I know some cement facilities in Alabama pay pennies for BDG to burn it must be ok with EPA and State agencies?
Thanks to you and all the others that have given so much. Together we can give back and make a difference.
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have several opportunites in my area that buy wood shavings/sawdust to burn to generate heat for their processes. Would the addition of Glycerin to this material generate a higher temperature than the shavings alone ?

I mix 'waste' glycerin and 'waste' VO sludge with sawdust and burn it in my woodstove. Yes, adding the glycerin will increase the heat value as compared with only wood.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

quote:
I sell them 1/2 and 1/2 (with or without caustic (KOH ) doesnt make a difference to them).

The caustic used in the reaction is used up by the reaction and is no longer an issue. The only time it becomes an aissue is if you then turn around and finish the saponification process by adding additional caustic and water (to make soaps) and if you are not careful you can overdo the caustic and that could result in a problem by causing caustic burns to skin, but using the glycerin layer, demethed and at either 50/50 or 60/40 on the glycerin side will not result in any unused caustic being present to cause potential problems. The methanol, on the other hand, has loads of problematic potential, so if you are not fully demething I would suggest that you get a disclaimer of liability from your contact stating that they understand that the product may still contain metyl alcohol and that they are responsible for proper safety protocol.

The problem with an MSDS is that it has to be a producer specific sheet and not some generic one, as there are many factors involved and one person's procedure may not properly reflect your procedure etc.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
You are welcome.

quote:
I sell them 1/2 and 1/2 (with or without caustic (KOH ) doesnt make a difference to them).

The caustic used in the reaction is used up by the reaction and is no longer an issue. The only time it becomes an aissue is if you then turn around and finish the saponification process by adding additional caustic and water (to make soaps) and if you are not careful you can overdo the caustic and that could result in a problem by causing caustic burns to skin, but using the glycerin layer, demethed and at either 50/50 or 60/40 on the glycerin side will not result in any unused caustic being present to cause potential problems. The methanol, on the other hand, has loads of problematic potential, so if you are not fully demething I would suggest that you get a disclaimer of liability from your contact stating that they understand that the product may still contain metyl alcohol and that they are responsible for proper safety protocol.

The problem with an MSDS is that it has to be a producer specific sheet and not some generic one, as there are many factors involved and one person's procedure may not properly reflect your procedure etc.

HTH

I sure would like to ask some more questions but maybe not appropiate here. More questions too concerning the amount of BDG we yield in a batch.
Thanks again
regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post