BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Neutralizing Glycerine
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neutralizing Glycerine
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks Mate. Every time I was in Byron had to drive to Nimbim for the "cookies"...you know! Smile

Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cineman:
Sinbad, Does the FFA split out from the Glyc in the same way it does if you add acid? or is this just a method to shift the PH back towards 7

Mainly just the removal of unreacted Lye so yes pH reduction. However soap is soluble in glycerol and methanol so the reaction might break some of the oleate.
You do get oil floating to the top but I think it is mostly bio/meth breaking from the emulsion as the pH drops. I used it to reduce the amount of acid needed.

Dave I think the techo term is metathesis, well done with the exam, chemistry is such a big subject it must have been a huge effort.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post