BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    sawdust stove, but use glycerin/sawdust mix?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sawdust stove, but use glycerin/sawdust mix?
 Login/Join

posted
I was reading the thread on using dry washing. Trying to learn more about the problems and pitfalls before jumping in and making a setup..anyway Jehu posted a link to a sawdust stove..I read the details and that got me thinking what about using glycerin/sawdust. First in the stove as the link outlines and second since glycerin/sawdust pack using the stove as a form. then just burn the glycerin/sawdust mix. sure some fine tuning might be needed to reduce acrolean creation. This past winter I used our glycerin/sawdust logs to start fires so I'm thinking this concern is over rated.

Our logs are a glycerin/sawdust wrapped in newspaper.

either way has anyone tried this? in either form?

-dkenny

sawdust stove

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mix VO sludge from the cleaning process and glycerin from making BD with sawdust and pack it into half gallon milk cartons. I throw one on the woodstove fire to quickly heat up the house in the morning.

Over the summer I make up enough 'bricks' for the winter heating season. The sawdust stove described would unnecessarily complicate things in my case.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
dkenny,

I burn sawdust/glycerine/sludge logs as described by john galt. I'm surprised to hear you use them as firestarters. I don't throw them on the fire until it is good and hot. I tried one as a fire starter outside as a test and had a lot of smoke and stink (acrolein).

There are tons of pages and videos on the web about sawdust stoves. They have a great deal of application is less developed areas where cooking and washing is done outside. I don't think you could burn one inside a well sealed modern home without producing a lot of stink. I have yet to experiment with one, but I plan to try one this fall. I'll use it outside to heat a pot for demething the NaoH Glycerine I use for soap making.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i used them for starting a fire its done a wood burning fireplace insert. not an open fire place. if it wasn't in wood burning fireplace insert I probably won't use them for fire starting.

I was think of using this sawdust stove for heating for making biodiesel and/or our house water.

it might also be a great way to use up the drywash sawdust??

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
john,
I wish we needed that much glycerin/sawdust for heating..

I would guess during the winter we use about 1/4 of the glycerin that's created during the year.

using it for heating water for BD making I might be able to get that to 1/2..maybe more??

soon I make a stove and test it..I found a 3lb coffee can..not big but its a start.

I have left from last yr..not counting what's been dumped this yr..10 oil cubes and 6 buckets..not to mention a 30 gallon drum and 200L drum from year before...
I drowning in glycerin..all demethed..

-dkenny

posted Hide Post
quote:
drowning in glycerin..all demethed..

Know any one with a greenhouse? It's excellent thermal mass to help maintain even temperatures.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
I mix VO sludge from the cleaning process and glycerin from making BD with sawdust and pack it into half gallon milk cartons. I throw one on the woodstove fire to quickly heat up the house in the morning.

Over the summer I make up enough 'bricks' for the winter heating season. The sawdust stove described would unnecessarily complicate things in my case.

John: your comment about "" I throw one on the woodstove fire to quickly heat up the house in the morning."" and DKenny's "" I used our glycerin/sawdust logs to start fires ""
Leads me to believe that this combination Starts easy and Burns fast !!!
( In your case it must Burn really hot to quickly heat your home on a brisk Canadian Morning )
Brisk !! hehe
Pretty sure I read somewhere that you use about 1/2 and 1/2 sawdust to sludge ??
Do you make your Bricks all the same or do you /can you change the blend to make it last longer ??
What ratio of hardwood to bricks do you typically burn in a season ?
I have been heating a fairly large home with 1 Wood stove ( Rated @ 70,000 BTU's )
I just bought one of those ""Brickmakers"" online to do some playing with different recipes.
They " claim " burn time of 2-3 hrs with just newspaper.
Instead of just wet paper the blend will include VO Sludge and sawdust. This is probably the ideal application also to mix in a small % that sometimes will come from cleaning out our new Drywash system. Is it practical to think that one could use these instead of just hardwood!!
You have probably noticed the huge surge in compressed log companies and products available to us today. I think our Vo Sludge with the right sawdust + XXX recipe could compete with these guys.
What do you think ??
thanks for your time !!

regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamlin205:
John: your comment about "" I throw one on the woodstove fire to quickly heat up the house in the morning."" and DKenny's "" I used our glycerin/sawdust logs to start fires ""
Leads me to believe that this combination Starts easy and Burns fast !!!
It starts easily if it's placed on an established wood fire.

quote:

( In your case it must Burn really hot to quickly heat your home on a brisk Canadian Morning )
Brisk !! hehe

Yup

quote:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that you use about 1/2 and 1/2 sawdust to sludge ??

Yes, approximately 50-50, about the consistency of stiff mortar
quote:

Do you make your Bricks all the same or do you /can you change the blend to make it last longer ??
I found that adding glycerin to the sludge slows the burn and reduces the temperature somewhat
quote:

What ratio of hardwood to bricks do you typically burn in a season ?
Most of my wood is spruce and pine with a bit of aspen and willow. About 4 cords of wood and about 50 to 70 fuel bricks

posted Hide Post
quote:

I just bought one of those ""Brickmakers"" online to do some playing with different recipes.
They " claim " burn time of 2-3 hrs with just newspaper.

I hope you do better than me,I had the kids making newspaper logs all last summer and dried them in the greenhouse-when we burnt them the heat output was lousy,and lots of grey ash blocking up the air vents-might try the log maker with glyc,but at the moment just put glyc/sawdust mix in short lengths of carpet cardboard tube-all our milk comes in glass or placcy bottles-they burn very hot-managed to buckle the baffle plate in the top of the woodstove,but turned it upside down for another go!

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we get about 4 buckets of glycerin/dust mix from a 35LB oil container of glycerin.
we then wrap this in newspaper 2-3 sheets per logs.

-dkenny