Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Glycerine in Diesel Engines

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/739605551/m/2157039433

May 10, 2011, 05:13 PM
zatoichix
Glycerine in Diesel Engines
http://www.aquafuelresearch.co...-innovator-2010.html

This research company claims to be able to run glycerine in a diesel engine. Has anybody had any experience trying this?
May 11, 2011, 06:16 PM
Legal Eagle
The idea sounds interesting, although it looks to require an engine modification. This is fine and dandy as long as the fuel is readily available, but what of it if you find yourself in an area where there isn't any? Does the conversion allow use of regular fossil fuels or is it once converted your stuck?

Alcohol burners are in the same boat, except for Brazil the world leader in alcohol for fuel production, unless, like Brazil, it is a part of the infrastructure and filling stations offer the driver a choice at the pump.

Their claim to non-toxicity raises the question of acrolein production. Is the combustion temperature sufficiently high to eliminate this problem, and can they assure us that there will never be any residual drips that could cause it ? But, like I said, its an interesting concept.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

May 12, 2011, 03:45 PM
Vladster
Maybe useful for forklifts and some other machinery which doesn't go away from warehous etc...

Infact would be pretty amazing to run my forklift on my byproduct Smile

May 13, 2011, 12:19 AM
keelec
One of the reason many forklifts run on Propane is that it is much cleaner burning than other fuels. I'd be concerned about toxic byproducts inside a warehouse.

Would there be a benefit of running glycerin rather than running SVO with it still attached to the fatty acids? I suppose that if one was running BD anyway, then one could run the glycerin.
May 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
Todd T
Sounds to me like they are talking about boiler fuel, part of a CHP system (combined heat and power). If so, the toxic byproducts would only be produced during startup. Or, they could use a dual fuel system like we do... allowing the burner to get hotter than the acrolein danger temp before introducing the glycerine.

I remember meeting an interesting guy promoting an oil-fired heater that burned glycerine... back in '08 at a renewable energy conference in DC. Not a question of "if" but working out the details of "how".

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

May 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
john galt
Most of the waste oil burners can also burn glycerol.
The large diesel engines that burn bunkerC fuel could also likely burn glycerol.

March 30, 2015, 02:00 PM
Bio-Jeep932
I got a tankfull in my 2005 Liberty CRD. Seems was from bad bio. A code was thrown (water in fuel) but it ran fine. There is no tank drain and I've been running it through. I've added 15 gal of straight diesel since (has a 20 gal tank). Puffs some black smoke. Code is still on. Going to let it run almost out and refill with good B100. Any thoughts, questions or comments? All are welcome.