BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    feed supplement for cattle

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

feed supplement for cattle
 Login/Join

posted
After you extract the excess methanol, I have been mixing it in with cattle feed. Glycerine is a natural sweetner and they seem to really like it. I have been doing this for a month on 10 head of cattle and all seems to be well. I have used about 7 to 8 gallons of it so far. No digestive problems so far. This is an experiment so far.

Gibbo

posted Hide Post
I've heard of someone else doing this also. Won't the lye in the byproduct hurt the cattle?

Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard of people doing this.
Is there any concern for the sodium based glycerin?
What about the soaps that are in the glycerin?

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took about 15 gallons and put it along the fence row. The cows found it and licked it up. I would like to do more of this I would like to put it on the hay in the feed bunk, but I don't want them eat stickers. If I had better hay. Maby I could just put a little in trough and let them lick it. What is the protein?

Location: Altamont Pass, Livermore, CA | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are doing this at the North Dakota Research center in Carrington ND

posted Hide Post
Do you neutralize it at all before you feed it to the cattle? I assume you are taking the methanol out, right?

Even though a cow will end up a steak I can't stand the thought of feeding lye to an animal. But then again, I don't know cows. Maybe their stomachs might like the stuff.

Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: January 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post