BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Dust/weed control on stone roads and parking lots.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust/weed control on stone roads and parking lots.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any followup information on this topic? It is something I'm interested in developing as dust control is my business.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I pour about two to three gallons of glycerin into a fire ant bed and it dies. It does leave a greasy spot behind that takes long time to recover. But I'd rather have the greasy spot than those evil sums of beaches in my yard. Before I started my glycerin fire ant control program, I had about 50 fire ant beds per acre. Now i count them on one hand. Don't think the EPA would be happy about me pouring that much raw glycerin down holes in the ground but it is, without a doubt the most effective fire ant control since DDT.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received verbal permission to use my raw demeth'd "glycerin" as weed control on my gravel road and fencelines. The county already use it for dust control on road projects, according to the lady at the county permit office, and gave me the contact info for the roads maintenance guy. He didn't know much about the product they use, other than "it's glycerin from a biodiesel plant, and a lot better than the stuff they used to use". We're in a desert area, high soil pH, very dry, no problem with stream contamination as long as it isn't used near a stream. Our regulator office of the Department Of Health is 100 miles away, and wasn't very helpful when I called. Their written policies and rules only mention glycerin with regard to spills (>200 gallons must be reported), not dust control.

Methanol is more highly regulated here, either in the air, or in the ground or water.

BTW, they were impressed that my biodiesel processer area had containment. They are well aware of homebrewers and the potential problems they can cause, but don't actively impose any particular rules on them unless a neighbor complains, or they get caught doing something stupid. I try to fly above the radar, to present an image of a responsible homebrewer to the various officials. So far, everyone has been very nice about it.

Cheers,
JohnO

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post