BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Dust/weed control on stone roads and parking lots.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust/weed control on stone roads and parking lots.
 Login/Join

posted
We started using our glycerin on stone drives and parking lots to control dust. Now we have more demand than we do glycerin. We started out by applying the glycerin to our own drives and telling others about it. We are producing a couple hundred to several hundred gallon every other month and can't keep up with demand. We have an old three hundred gallon propane tank that is past the service date that we chain onto a flatbed trailer. Once its full we pressurize the tank with an air compressor up to 14 psi of air. We have a 11/2" hose hooked to a pipe that goes down to about 1/2" off of the bottom of the tank and is welded where it comes out of the top. At the end of the hose is a ball valve and a piece of thin brass pipe that I smashed the end of. This makes a nice fan pattern that makes it easy to apply evenly. This works for now untill we can makes a more automated applicator. We use KOH for processing so the glycerin is pretty low viscosity.

2001 ford F350 4wd crew cab 6spd w/stroke and 100hp chip
1983 MB 300td great old car!
2005 jeep liberty crd
IH cub with kubota
Makers of the almost famous wvo collection lids as seen of B100, Utah biodiesel, Ever Green Renewable Energy and on Ebay

Location: NW OHIO | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
do you recover the methanol first?

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try this here on the farm. I hear it is good for the horses too.

posted Hide Post
Seems to me that this is a good way to use up some of the bad oil we all wind up with. Mix the yucky WVO with glycerine and use it to treat gravel roads.

I've used glycerine on some of the gravel roads on my ranch and it stops erosion on hills and makes a pavement like surface, after a while.

walk softly, leave a small footprint and a big impression

Location: southwest | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2odrx:

I'd be careful feeding it to your horses unless you KNOW there is no methanol still in it.

Location: Perth | Registered: April 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Do you have an application rate? How many gallons of byproduct per mile of gravel road?

walk softly, leave a small footprint and a big impression

Location: southwest | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bio,
Sorry I'm not that technical on my application. We just put it on so that the stones take on a slightly wet look, about like you would do if you were wetting stones with a garden hose. I do know that 300 gallons can easily treat a 10 acre parking lot. As I mentioned we will continue refining the process as we progress. This just basically started out as an experimental way of using up our waste. We are also experimenting with other uses. Anyone have any good uses for KOH wash water?? Could it be put in a farm sewage lagoon, obviously assuming the meth has been recovered?

2001 ford F350 4wd crew cab 6spd w/stroke and 100hp chip
1983 MB 300td great old car!
2005 jeep liberty crd
IH cub with kubota
Makers of the almost famous wvo collection lids as seen of B100, Utah biodiesel, Ever Green Renewable Energy and on Ebay

Location: NW OHIO | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the EPA or your State's DEQ have any problems with you doing this? I'm guessing you didn't ask either.

posted Hide Post
We put our glycerin with methanol in the manure lagoon at a local farm. The meth is good for the whole mess.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob,
quote:
We put our glycerin with methanol in the manure lagoon at a local farm. The meth is good for the whole mess.

How many gallons do you get rid of this way? Any idea how much of the methanol evaporates, and how much gets used by the bacteria?

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

That would depend on how much they put in and the size of the lagoon. If they put a 55 gallon drum of the stuff in the average lagoon, then it's unlikely that any significant quantity would evaporate.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob.
quote:
The meth is good for the whole mess.

Do you have any documentation that I can use to support this use in a permit application? We asked permission to do this here in PA and it would be super helpful to have some backup, besides saying "some guy on my internet forum is putting it in a lagoon"

Thanks... if we can legitimize this practice here in PA it could open doors in other states. Appreciate any help!

farmer

Location: Chambersburg, PA | Registered: January 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does anybody have an idea what effect using glycerine for dust control would have on nearby streams and lakes?

A property owner nearby is intersted in using my byproduct for dust control, but run off from her roads would end up in a feeder creek emptying into a 1400 acre state park lake.

This lake was "dead" a few decades ago due to raw sewage being emptied into it from a local treatment plant. It has since recovered thanks to careful regulation and environmental activism and now has some awesome fishing and recreation. I do not want my actions to harm this recovery in any way.

Thoughts?

Location: Quakertown, PA | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stupiddodge, that seems to be the question that no one wants to (or can) answer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfunderburg:
stupiddodge, that seems to be the question that no one wants to (or can) answer.

That's okay. It's a serious question. I prefer no answer to a wrong answer.

It's been suggested I buy a couple cheap goldfish and see how much glycerine they will tolerate. I'm not there yet.

Location: Quakertown, PA | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,Paul glad to see you decided to do this it has worked well for us here in Iowa, But we must remove the methanol before application due to DNR and state guidelines as Methanol can enter ground water and pose a problem.currently the EPA does not regulate release of methanol into the air however there are some guidlines in place for diposal of methanol and ground water contamination and yes methanol would harm marsh life..We sell our Glycerin to several farmers here and they apply it as needed.standard Spray tank with small pump and boom is what they are using. I normally do not post here anymore but wanted to get the info out to you, Take care Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not want my actions to harm this recovery in any way.

Thoughts?

Take a sample to them for analysis; if they give you a green light then you are set; or at least no one can come back at you for it.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heartlandbio66:
Hey,Paul glad to see you decided to do this it has worked well for us here in Iowa, But we must remove the methanol before application due to DNR and state guidelines as Methanol can enter ground water and pose a problem.currently the EPA does not regulate release of methanol into the air however there are some guidlines in place for diposal of methanol and ground water contamination and yes methanol would harm marsh life..We sell our Glycerin to several farmers here and they apply it as needed.standard Spray tank with small pump and boom is what they are using. I normally do not post here anymore but wanted to get the info out to you, Take care Jim

Incorrect. The release of methanol into the air IS regulated by the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/eparules.html

Look at the list of "toxic air pollutants".

Has no one checked with any local or state officials as to whether they are allowed to pour "glycerine" on their land? They may be inadvertantly harming their environment.

I put glycerine in quotes because bi-product glycerine has alot of other crap in it. Even if you de-meth and acidulate it, you'll still have potentenially harmful salts (depending on the acid used) and FFA's.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfunderburg:

Has no one checked with any local or state officials as to whether they are allowed to pour "glycerine" on their land? They may be inadvertantly harming their environment.

I have checked with most of the southeastern states. The regulations on releasing methanol into the air depend on who is releasing and how much is being released.

On ground releases, it depends on the state. The water table in Florida is so high that pouring glycerin or methanol in the dirt behind the shed is viewed the same as pouring it in the creek. For most states however, it is not a problem if you are below a certain level (varies from state to state) and there is no runoff into nearby streams. The problem the EPA has with pouring WVO or glycerin or methanol on the ground is it's BOD content. If it gets in the stream, the oil will suck up all the oxygen and kill everything in the stream. If it's applied to the land (again maximum quantities apply) with no runoff into any stream the BOD content is a non issue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TroyH:
quote:
Originally posted by h2odrx:

I'd be careful feeding it to your horses unless you KNOW there is no methanol still in it.

It is for dust control in the riding ring and around the roads. i'm not going to let them eat it.