BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    What to do with 300g a Week of Glycerin?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with 300g a Week of Glycerin?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys,

So we're running into a wall here, we're currently producing around 300 gallons a week of glycerin, but we have no outlet. And that's a heck of a lot of soap bars, heh.

We'd be looking to give it away for free. Does anyone know of a company that would take this away, with meth, or without meth? We're in Northeast PA.

Any help would be really appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Try checking out your local water treatment fascility. If they use a digester then the glyc with methanol is actually beneficial to the bacteria (they feed off it) and they get better results. I don't kow what kind of volume they can use, but some is better than none eh?

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for a large dairy farm. You can find them easily if your down wind!
They will have a huge manure lagoon. Your totes of glycerin will be a spec in the pond of poop.
That's where ours goes.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
You might also want to check into glycerin fired boilers.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of glycerin? From what feedstock and what caustic?

Location: n.w.ohio | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello BobAbbey,
Can you explain why the manure lagoon would benefit from the glycerin input? Clearly there is some benefit to the farmer but I guess I'm not sure what that is.
Aaron

posted Hide Post
I didn't claim that the manure lagoon would benefit from the glycerin. I do know it is biodegradable, and we use KOH as a catalyst, which is good fertilizer when broken down.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it is mainly carbon, your byproduct affects the carbon/nitrogen ratio. If it helps, this is probably why. Both aerobic and anerobic bacteria work best close to set ratios of C/N. As I understand, at least. Others have a deeper understanding I am sure.

HTH.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have read that cement and/or asphalt plants use burners that might handle glycerol. I'd like to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge of that. I am able to use all my glycerol in sawdust logs that I burn in my woodstove. Your 300 gallons per week would be a bit much to go that road.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contacted a local cement place awhile back, they would take it but it had to be liquid.

So for my demethed NaOH it was a no-go. But you might find it different in your area. I think they use it to fire their kiln.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello!

I am in the Cleveland area, abd would be interested in picking up your glycerin. Please advise.

Rick K.
www.AlterHeat.com
Rkryst@verizon.net

Location: Ohio | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick.

If you come East I have about 7 totes of glyc you can have. dgfishel@hotmail.com

Location: Central PA | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
rick if you don't mind driving to new orleans I have about 2000 gallons to get rid of at the commercial plant. methanol still in it unroped1@aol.com

Location: New Orleans. Area  | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey DGF!

Please contact me about your glycerin. I will pick it up if it isn't an unreasonable distance. I will use it in my clycerin burner, and return the totes to you to refill!

Hey Swamp Rat!

New Orleans might be fun, but it's a bit distant from New London, Ohio.

I wonder how much glycerin the airlines will let you carry?

Rick

Location: Ohio | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure but , I have at least 8 totes of glyserol. new orleans is full of young ethnecly challenged thugs looking to mug some one. I live out in the country. about 30 miles from new orleans. I have to go to new orleans to work some times. the only advice I have is any one wanting to go there is bring a very dependable pistol and xtra clips of ammo. I have a 15 shot ruger 9mm and I keep a ak-47 in the truck. there a few places down there wanting me to pick up oil, but it is just to dangerous and I really don't wana have to shoot some thug, because I am trass passing in his gang turf. there is no fun in new orleans these days just daily murders,car jacking and robberys. Frown

Location: New Orleans. Area  | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post