BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Heating element keeps burning out ;soap making

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating element keeps burning out ;soap making
 Login/Join

posted
Today, I embarked on making soap through this condenser that I constructed( Thanks to Legal Eagle's site). The only problem is the heating element. I am running a 1500 W on a 110, but as it was heating up( my thermometer reached 160) it all the sudden crapped out. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me, I'm not sure if its quality of the element or not(bought it from Home Depot). Has anyone had this problem? A pic of the condenser is on b100.com/recovery I believe

Location: Kansas City | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At first I used a "short" 115V element in that rig, but then when it popped in half I replaced it with a full sized pricey 240V element.

This I ran on 115V and haven't had a single problem with it in the couple years it was in there.

I am now using a 48Lt water heater instead of the pail set up and left the original 240V in it which I run on 115V. No problems yet and it's been over a year.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you probably need to go with a higher wattage element, say maybe 4500 watts at 240V. Run it at 115V. It has a lot more surface area and will most likely last you a couple of years or better.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep what they said, also look for a long element that turns back on itself. The longer the element (low watt density) the less chance of hot spots that will burn it out...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went today to HD and bought a 2000 w element, but after reading this it seems like it won't get the job done. Does anyone know why my 1500 kept burning out on me? I am skeptical about using a 4500 watt element( which I was considering). But I suppose I could just do it outside, so If anything happens then my house won't burn to the ground.

Location: Kansas City | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bio D: get a 5500 W, 240 V element, and use it on 120 V. It will give you about 1375 W, and will last a lot longer.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post