BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Newbie question regarding recipes / liquids

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie question regarding recipes / liquids
 Login/Join

posted
OK, this is a truly stupid question. I've been experimenting with mixed success on making soap with my biodiesel byproduct.

In a recipe that calls for 32oz of glycerine byproduct: is that calling for 32oz by weight or 32 fl oz by volume?

Told you it was a newbie question! Any tips much appreciated.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Volume, since it's going to be a liquid.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duke,
If you are following one of the recipes I have in the recipe section I always go by weight.

Volume should be close enough in most cases unless you are going to greatly increase the size of the recipe.

Remember to always check the pH of your soap prior to use. With liquid it's very easy to adjust. The weight is more for how much caustic to use with the glycern byproduct.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different answers makes me feel like the question wasn't that stupid after all. Smile Rick K, thanks for your answer -- I have been using your recipes as my jump-in point, and I appreciate you posting them to share. I made the glycerine plus shortening last night, but tweaked it to use 40% storebought shortening and 60% waste glycerine. It's firming up in the molds, but I may go 50/50 on the next batch to see if I get a harder product in the end.

Thanks again for all the guidance!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
No problem at all glad to help out.

The shortening at 50/50 is still just a tad soft. If you have any steric acid or coconut oil maybe add 5%-10% of that - 30%-35% shortening - 60% glycerin.

Do you have an accurate SAP value for your shortening? I use 0.136.

Also be sure when you bump up the shortening that you recalc your caustic for the shortening.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But,

If you go by weight instead of volume, doesn't that make the assumption that the glycerin is pure? If you were to go by weight (to split hairs here), would it be best to go by mass in grams rather than liters or centiliters?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I suppose technically I am wrong, as I'm using "weight" interchangeably with "mass." But since liquids have varying densities, I figured that weight was a better measure than volume. Grams is still a weight measurement, and liters or cc or gallons are all volume measurements independent of weight. Hence all my uncertainty!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
I measure everything by weight ounces, pounds, grams...

I calculate a SAP value for my glycerin so the "purity" is of no account for my process. The SAP value is a value of the percentage of saponifiable elements left in the glycerin. That gives a value of how much caustic is required. Other additives like scent and or color are subjective and accurate measurement is not really important.

I'm sure weight and volume will both work fine when making your soap. Especially if you check your pH and adjust it accordingly.

-Rick

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick K:

I calculate a SAP value for my glycerin...

Can you point me to a thread explaining exactly how to do this? I've searched here and via Google, and I see lots of numbers out there to use, but nobody explaining how to actually calculate an accurate sap value. That would be a valuable thing to learn. Thanks again!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
John if you make it down to Tyler then I would certainly like to make soap with you. I have 5 barrels of glycerin from virgin canola. Its very clean glycerin and I really want to make a ton of soap!
Lisa

Lisa 2006 Ford F250 6.0L Powerstroke with 12 inch lift

Location: TX | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Lisa -- I just saw this. You've got my phone number in a PM. Give me a shout or PM me your number. I was actually in Tyler this weekend, but probably go back to Houston tomorrow. If we don't connect this visit, we definitely will on my next trip up in a couple of weeks, cool?

Cheers, John