BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    NaOH glycerin for the cows or the lagoon?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NaOH glycerin for the cows or the lagoon?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,
I have a dairy farmer just up the road from me and I am going to ask him if he wants my NaOH demethed glycerin that I am currently, mostly, just putting in the landfill which I feel is a waste.
With my new setup I will be producing around 55 gallons plus of the stuff per batch, I figure I could just mix it with water into a tote as I drain it so he can pump or pour it if he decides he wants it...
I am just not sure what I should suggest for the best use of it, manure lagoon or feed for the milkers? What would you farmers on here suggest? If you think its better as a feed I will print off that report on feeding it to livestock, if you think its better to just dump it in the lagoon to feed the bugs I wont bother...

And off topic;
I have read that NaOH glycerin is no good to use in the garden composter, I have not been able to find out why, does anybody know what the problem is with NaOH glycerin and gardens?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Biodiesel glycerin for ruminants :

http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/1/241.htm

Composting the glycerin is best when the catalyst is KOH as potassium is a nutrient whereas sodium could actually kill the plant. If you water wash you can use the first wash water as a good weed killer if you process using NaOH.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
more links on feeding glycerin to ruminants.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
I have read that NaOH glycerin is no good to use in the garden composter, I have not been able to find out why, does anybody know what the problem is with NaOH glycerin and gardens?
Cheers,
Jon

The Composting bacteria require a slightly acidic environment.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Heron:
Cheers,
Jon

The Composting bacteria require a slightly acidic environment.

Rick

...and the excess sodium is usually a problem. Plants and composting bacteria can use potassium or calcium, but sodium... not so much.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I am going to go talk to the guy this week...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Nice compilation of links!
When you say
quote:
If the contaminates are removed from biodiesel glycerin, specifically methanol down to 150ppm, then glycerin makes a good supliment to your rumen feeding program.
Can you recall which study you have listed there that has that stated?
Why I ask is the German study linked to by LE above fed the cattle glycerin with up to 27% methanol with no ill affects (at a maximum of 10% glycerin/feed) Eek Also I recall reading somewhere that the methanol is not toxic to ruminants due to a missing protein in their blood or something like that...
Cheers,
Jon

posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Never mind, its in the first paragraph of the first study in the links. The 150PPM limit is only in USA it appears. If anybody knows of any Canadian regulations I would be interested, obviously. Wink
quote:
Glycerin is a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) animal food ingredi-
ent as provided for in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Section
582.1320. The glycerin defined in this regulation is refined glycerin and
has historically been from the soap making industry. Crude glycerin from
biodiesel production can contain contaminants, of which, methanol is
the most common one of concern. The U.S. Food and Drug Adminis-
tration (FDA) has issued an industry letter stating that glycerin from
biodiesel should meet the U.S. Pharmacopeia (U.S.P.) standards for
glycerin, which includes a limit of 150 mg/kg of methanol, and FDA
would consider such glycerin with higher methanol limits as unsafe for
feeding to animals, unless it were otherwise demonstrated to be safe. The
government of the Federal Republic of Germany has stated that levels
of 5,000 mg/kg of methanol in glycerin are safe for animal food. An
industry coalition is collecting data and meeting with FDA to determine
what information is needed to demonstrate crude glycerin safety for use
in animal food with levels higher than 150 mg/kg.

Cheers,
Jon