BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    GL's Eco-System processor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL's Eco-System processor
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi jon h.

Having 3 arms is an advantage over mear mortals, unfortunately I only have 2 so I shape the end of the 5/16 tube to fit the tube it's going to be soldered to and balance it in place. I have sometimes used a a piece of wood to hold it in place whilst I solder. Fit a longer piece than you need and cut to length after, don't forget to drill through the tube after fixing it.

I don't under stand why you want join a 1/2" tube to the reducer.

I've attached a sketch of my make up.

Producer,

You'r right about the syphon effect, as you can see there where 8 tests, each had it's own set up I just picked one of the shots with everything on line.
The lift measurement was done by lifting the loop to about 7ft and seeing how far up the tube the water went, as you say once the tube was full you could lift it to any hight. The flow test was done with as direct a lift as possible. The object of the exercise was to get a system working with a Venturi and a Mixer, it did.

Jim.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Location: Suffolk, UK | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Graham--

Ever tried one of these as a venturi in your system ?

Norther Tool Detergent Injector for Pressure Washer

Wonder if it works with the pumps we use ?

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
jamesrl,

It looks like you have two different venturi designs on that sketch.
Which one are you using and did you find one works better than the other?

Thanks,
Kurt

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Location: Black Forest, Colorado | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamLaming:

The suction increases with the square of the velocity, so faster is better. Widening the nozzle will slow the flow.

Provided your pump can shift fluid rapidly, this eductor should work with liquids too.

I think pump capabilities are key in this situation. If the venturi is installed in-line after the pump, due to constriction, it will create of zone of positive pressure on the output of the pump. This could decrease the rate of flow through the venturi, depending on the pump type (not a issue with a gear pump or purpose made pressure pump). Decreased flow rate through the venturi would have the expect result of decreased suction.

The pre-made venturis are designed for high-pressure steam. The fluid dynamics are very different, as are the expected pressure levels.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Altitude:
jamesrl,

It looks like you have two different venturi designs on that sketch.
Which one are you using and did you find one works better than the other?

Thanks,
Kurt

Hi Kurt,

The main sketch is a variation on Graham's "T" piece venturi which ony injects the meth. on one side of the stream, it worked very well. So I thought I'd put 8 x 3mm holes around the throat and have an even distribution around the stream for better mixing and used a coupling to contain it.(the little sketch top L/H corner).

The venturi I'm using is in my post 21/03 page 2 of this thread.

Hope that explains things for you.

Jim.

Location: Suffolk, UK | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you done any testing to see if your beautiful manifold actually mixes and how well?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Ant,
I haven't tested it for mixing yet that's the next job after I put it onto my plant. Still got a bit of plumbing to do, but I will be testing its performance first venturi only using 27/3 test every 15' and then with mixer inline and 27/3 it the same. I'll post results when I have them.

Jim

posted Hide Post
I have posted comments re GL processor elsewhere and I think it is great innovation however I didn't like the idea of using a venturi on 'my processor' for a couple of reasons.
1. I don't wish to run my pump for an extended length of time with high temp fluids.
2. I have some plastic plumbing which I would have to replace as I would hate it to fail at high temps dumping my bio on the ground, this tubing on my processor is difficult to replace.

So to combat these concerns I had designed my Appleseed processor with a tap at the exit(bottom) and entry (top) of the processor which when shut off separate the plumbing from the processor/now still.
I have added in an air bubbler to the bottom of the processor/now still and inject air via 2 aquarium pumps, basically a replacement of the venturi. Instead of introducing air by using the pump and venturi I bubble/air/dry wash in the processor heated to 80degC and recover the methanol via a condenser.
Last 150litre batch using this process netted 11 litres of recovered methanol from the 33 litres used in the conversion 4 litres from the bio and using a separate still 7 litres from the glycerol that was drained off earlier.

Peter

posted Hide Post
Hi all and a happy easter to you,

I have made another Venturi to try out, it has a 10mm throat but this time I took some photo's. The first shot is of the component parts 1 Venturi (made as per Graham Laming method) 3 couplings and a piece of 5/16th gas pipe.
The venturi is only 50mm long (2 inches).

posted Hide Post
The second shot shows the 8 3mm holes around the throat and the suction pipe fixed to one of the couplings.

posted Hide Post
The last shot here is of the venturi assembled ready to use.

The soft focus in the pictures is due to a finger mark on the lens discovered after the pictures were taken. (sort of weddingy aint they).

Jim.

posted Hide Post
How did you get the centre coupling to curve in to the inlet throat?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Jim
Looks very nice
quote:
Originally posted by jamesrl:
The second shot shows the 8 3mm holes around the throat ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the 3 mm holes for?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:

Hi Ant,

Shrinking the coupling down to the venturi. By the way it's the outlet.
Firts it's drawn down by bisecting an angle between your anvil and hammer (I'll attach a sketch).
When it is close to the venturi it is shut tight against the tube with another method called peining down, this is done almost straight down the venturi tube.
This 10mm Venturi is made in two parts (can you see the join) as it takes less tha half the time of making it in one piece.

I'll let you all into a little secret (but keep it to yourselves) I'm a Coppersmith / Sheetmetal worker with 45 yaers experience.( He says in a wispered voice).

I shall be posting the results of the tests on the 10mm model soon, but I'll tell you this, I boasted that I would get a 10ft lift on the suction side of my venturi's this one I stopped testing the lift at 16ft cos I don't think I will be building a plant that far off the ground.

Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yair-BHFC:
Hi Jim
Looks very nice
quote:
The second shot shows the 8 3mm holes around the throat ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the 3 mm holes for?

Hi Yair,

The idea of the Venturi is to suck methoxide into the flow of WVO. As you might have seen in other posts most venturi's have a single suction tube attached to the outlet side of the Venturi so the meth. is to one side of the flow.
I thought it would be better to have an even distibution of catalyst around the WVO flow so the 8 x 3mm holes were put in. To get the catalyst to the holes and retain the vacuum it required a jacket to contain everything, hence the coulping.

Hope that helps.

Jim.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ant:

Hi Ant,

Shrinking the coupling down to the venturi. By the way it's the outlet.
Firts it's drawn down by bisecting an angle between your anvil and hammer (I'll attach a sketch).
When it is close to the venturi it is shut tight against the tube with another method called peining down, this is done almost straight down the venturi tube.
This 10mm Venturi is made in two parts (can you see the join) as it takes less tha half the time of making it in one piece.

I'll let you all into a little secret (but keep it to yourselves) I'm a Coppersmith / Sheetmetal worker with 45 yaers experience.( He says in a wispered voice).

I shall be posting the results of the tests on the 10mm model soon, but I'll tell you this, I boasted that I would get a 10ft lift on the suction side of my venturi's this one I stopped testing the lift at 16ft cos I don't think I will be building a plant that far off the ground.

Jim

I, as well as others I'm sure, have enjoyed your venturi pics and process and wish with a bit of wonder how this is done ..Well, now that the truth is out Mister Coppersmith, I need a few of your venturi's .. What can you make them for?? My efforts are a mess .. You can save me and other intresteds a lot of grief ... I will even put a little engraved brass sign on one of them in my processor with your name on it .. At least part of my processor will look and be professional...

Location: YAKIMA, WA | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i second that emotion! please put them on the market so that i may own one of your fine creations.

Shawn

2006 F-250 6.0l PSD Crew W/ FS BED Runnin' on Homemade B-100 (NOT!!!) If you have a 6.0 DO NOT RUN B/D unless you have a LOT of money for injectors and fuel pumps and fuel injection control modules and...

This message will self destruct

Location: sunny Palm Bch.County, Fl. Home of the "Hanging Chad" | Registered: July 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want to step on jamesrl's toes but I can build them for you here in Texas if you like.

Location: south Texas | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't copper and brass cause a problem with bd? Going to try the construct my venturi today/wish me luck.

TexasCustom,
Post a picture so we can see what we are buying!!!

Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: February 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasCustom:
I don't want to step on jamesrl's toes but I can build them for you here in Texas if you like.

Hi texascustom,

Do you have any samples of your venturi's that we could see and what figuers of performance can you give?

I just want to see what other people can make.

Jim.