BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    GL's Eco-System processor
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 19

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL's Eco-System processor
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bandakwe:
Hey FatKid,
I appreciated Used2Ski pointing me to the post about bringing up the bottom of the tank with resin and maybe using stone (pea gravel?) as filler. Glad to hear from you. Do you pour thru the lower heating element hole? Also, do you use Graham's condensor and if so where does it plumb into the system?

I apologize for now getting back to you sooner, grad school has been kicking my butt. Have you gotten appropriate response back concerning your questions?
My Plumber's Delight Condenser is currently sitting in the corner of my shop and I plan on replumbing over this current break. I am thinking about running a two-tank system to store glycerol and distill the meth on an intermittent basis.
When I pour in for the next tank I will tilt the tank back and pour in through the upper element hole.

Location: Spokane,WA | Registered: May 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello All, have made many batches with waterless process and just wondering if anybody else has experienced a lack of power from GL method vs water wash? l Have noticed a drop in power and have been blending with dino to get more power ( 06 Hino 4lt Turbo) This weekend l washed my dregs barrel (remains of made bio-pipe clearing, overflows etc.) that had not been thru the 1 day process and am amazed at the difference. More power and the old "pungent" smell. lt was made exactly the same way each time from same cottonseed oil suppliers and l test half the time with 3/27. The half l test passes so l presume the other half do to, so to me the only variable is washing with water vs meth removal and filtering. Any body else got an explanation?

Regards

peter

posted Hide Post
I finally got the meth out of the oil so that I could settle more soap. I did this batch using NaOH so that the soap would cake, and not be liquid, but in this 90 degree heat of the south, everything, glycerin, soap is still very liquid. Even though it settles and sticks to the sides of the barrel, it will slide off the sides as you pump the barrel down. It readily passes through jeans filters, which I understand is about 5 microns. The only thing I can think of to do is settle and decant the BD in small amounts, or cool a small amount at a time in the fridge and see if that will harden up the soap. I'm open to suggestions Smile

posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,

Are you 100% sure you got all the methanol out?

If you have methanol remaining in your biodiesel, you could have a reduction in performance.

Also if your soap filtration is incomplete, you could have filter clogging.

If your biodiesel conversion was complete, and you removed all the methanol, soap and glycerine, your final biodiesel should have just as much energy as water washed biodiesel.

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will this method work for WVO ? I am new to the BD world . I hope this is not an ignorant question .

Location: SWMO | Registered: March 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi dboib

Thanks for your message and welcome to the wonderful world of biodiesel!

Yes, this method works for converting WVO to biodiesel.

The WVO needs to be reasonably good, not too old , overused, or acidic, using the process I described.

If it is very acidic (old and used), you may need to process slightly differently, but can use the same physical layout I described.

The best thing to do first, is to learn how to make small batches of biodiesel with the type of WVO you expect to use. Make it in 1 liter or 2 liter bottles (see here for details on how).

Then, when you are happy that you can make good biodiesel from your WVO, progress to running a bigger system.

It's a gradual learning process, start off modest and work your way up.

Hope that helps.

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind response graham . I already have made many 1l batches using my micro batch processor using virgin oil . I have tried to make BD from WVO a couple of times , but it was very used , and i belive it titrated about 12 . A little much for a novice . I do have a new soource for WVO . An oriental rest. here in town said they can supply me with 40-60gal. a week . I figured if they change it every week it should be worth using . Right ? I have just recently finished assembling my full scale processor only to find this topic in the forums . So i tore down the new processor and am basing my new one from your ideas . You seem to be one of the leading inovators in BD as far as i can tell . Im ranting , Ill let you know how it all turns out . Thanx again GL .

posted Hide Post
Greetings All,

I am very new to Biodiesel and it production although I am looking forward to either trying to build Graham's processor or perhaps purchasing one (haven't actually decided yet)

I have been doing significant research lately on the whole topic and now think that it is time to take the plunge and get started.

Originally I found this site:

http://www.london-electronics.com/bd/ecosystem/ecosystem.htm

but have recently found this one which appears to be an update:

http://www.london-electronics.com/bd/ecosystem/state_diagram_new.htm

What I am wondering is if there is some tpe of equipment list floating around for Graham's design with perhaps some manufacturers that I might be able to get all of the components from?

The reason thatI ask, is because I did not see much information on things like pump specifications and the like although I could have just missed it somewhere.

I have looked at the Appleseed design as well as the many other people selling similar designs on the web which can get rather expensive from what I have seen, but a waterless washing system that does not vent greatly to the atmosphere is about a environmental friendly as I can find and which I like.

Graham's design seems to be very nice for the environment and clean as well. Now I just need to try to purchase one or build it.

I have also read many online documents and just received my "Building a successful Biodiesel Business" book as my eventual goal is to start up a very small production plant here in Maryland, but will probably they to set up a business plan that will use some sort of continuous-flow system which seems to be more for production levels. More on that later though.

Right now, I would just like to gain some experience and get a batch processor based upon the Graham design up and running as quickly as possible.

Sorry for the long posting and any help that you could provide to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lonnie Cumberland
lonnie@outstep.com

posted Hide Post
Greetings All,

I have not see much activity on the list lately and was wondering if thisthread was still active?

In particular if someone could possibly give me some information on a possible equipment list that covered some things like motor and pump specifications that you use and also if it can be built with a water heater containment tank since from what I have read, that has the best option for heating.

I would really like to build or buy a Graham design processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Lonnie

posted Hide Post
Hi Lonnie

Where are you based? I'm sure someone somewhere can help you to get together all the necessary bits.

But is is dependant on region - what I can get, someone else can't and vice-versa.

Mine is built with a water heater tank.

Have you made any small batches of biodiesel? Are you familiar with the kind of oil you'll be using?

posted Hide Post
Hi Graham,

Thanks for responding to my post as I find Biodiesel to be a very exciting and environmental responsible subject worthy of great research.

I am currently located in Maryland, USA and am in the process of moving to a new home within about 1 more month which is only about 30 minutes from where I am now, but still in Maryland as well.

I was searching on ebay and saw some 1/2 HP pumps for use with Biodiesel for about $15.00/each as well as many large storage containers for a reasonable price as well.

I wanted to start piecing together your current design since it looks much better than other designes that I have seen available. Although I would really rather just purchase an inexpensive ready-to-run processor to get started, I think that yours is better for the environment and is also waterless which I like as well.

I have been doing a huge amount of research and have even purchased a biodiesel book and been watching production step-by-step videos, but have not been able to make my first batch since we are in the process of moving now.

I was really just gathering information so that I can eaitherpurchase a good qualit processor or build your design as soon as we get into the new house as I like to be prepared in my research and studies before starting any real project.

Thanks again and have a great day,

posted Hide Post
I wanted to get some opinions on how to scale this process up. I’ve got a small plant in construction, reactor and settling systems completed and now looking toward the bio purification. I’ve talked with the ion exchange reps and am a little disappointed in the high cost for the amount of resin needed to startup. I've got to build a methanol recovery unit anyway, so I’d like to try to make the GL method work.

The plan: I’ve got some distillation background and have designed and sized a continuous distillation column that will (hopefully) remove the methanol down to the 0.1 wt% range. The biodiesel will then go to a tank for settling. My plan is to let it settle and cool overnight. Then tank will be circulated through bag filters, say 100 micron followed by 10 micron, until soap and glycerin is removed to below spec levels. Biodiesel is then pumped to a sales tank, maybe through a small resin bed for polishing.

My concerns:
1. Biodiesel from the distillation column will be going to the tank at over 100C. From the previous posts I may have some difficulty filtering soap until it cools quite a bit.
2. I’m using sodium methylate for catalyst. Doesn’t look like there’s any experience with this on the forum, but it should still be making Na soaps so hopefully not a problem.
3. Can’t do any “scooping” of soap from the settling tank as some mention here. Anything floating on top of the biodiesel may be a problem.
4. The Purolite rep says it is not recommended that methanol be removed from biodiesel while catalyst is still present as the high temperature may promote a reverse reaction. Not sure I believe this is significant issue. He recommends flow through a resin bed, followed by methanol removal, followed by another resin bed for polishing.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Location: Texas | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Lonnie

Before you launch into an elaborate build, have you looked at www.biodieselcommunity.org? Best to start out small. You will learn just as much and, if you have a disaster, it will be easier to deal with.

I made the five-gallon processor described at http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor5.html before scaling up.

A word of warning - there is a divergence of opinion on the base amount of caustic to use - J to F says 3.5 gm NaOH, but here people go with 5gm NaOH - or 7gm KOH - or, if your KOH is 90% purity, 7.8gm.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings All,

Is there anyone producing a completed GL-Echo system that is for sell within about the $1000.00 to $1500.00 range.

Someone that I kow wants to purchase a batch system with a little assembly as possible so that they can get started and the GL-Echo System looks like a GREAT design along with outstanding functionality.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Paulus and I will keep that in mind.

I also just posed a small question in looking for a good turn-key system that can be purchased in order to get someone I know started.

If we can find a reasonable system then perhaps I will go ahead and get one as well.

posted Hide Post
Lonnie , i have almost finished my GL type processor . Finishing the condensor this weekend . The cost was under a 1000 bucks . Just read up and go for it . I did have some help from a neighbor of mine for some of the more complicated aspects . It is pretty much my design using others ideas . Lots of useful information in here . Just have to read alot . I am a relative newbie to this , but have made many succesful 1 litre batches . Time for me to move on to the batch processor . You need to start small . I built a micro batch processor , that i still use for 1 litre batches , definetly a great place to begin for me . Utilize info in here to your benefit . It would be best if you learned how to make BD yourself , with the aid of these forums .

posted Hide Post
If I were to take the vapour return from the bottom of the condensor to the oil inlet valve (part way open), would that do away with the need for the venturi? - which I'll only be using for vapour intake/mixing purposes anyway

(I'm not overly good at soldering and have not tried any copper bashing just yet! - I am just about to knock up a GL variant - although it won't be too varied!!)

Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: October 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would cause cavitation in the pump if you inject air on the low pressure side - bad idea.

Nick

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamLaming:
Hi Pappa,

I've got to admit I've not run many batches on KOH, and those I did, didn't settle out too well, so I went right back to NaOH, and life is sweet again.

I think it also depends on your feedstock, because I ran a batch with virgin canola and it worked just fine.

Then I ran a batch with hydrogenated oil, and I was cursing for days!

Hydrogenated oil seems to be a little denser, and maybe if you have hydrogenated or partly hydrogenated feedstock, or feedstock with a large percentage of tallow, the soap may not be so prone to settle out under gravity.

and i thought it was just me. KOH doesn't seem to work too well with the waterless wash process...cant get the soaps to settle out or filter out... even w/ a 5 micron bag filter.

posted Hide Post
One of my customers may have stumbled onto something here. They use KOH. They heat to drive of the methanol and then fill 55 gallon barrels with hot biodiesel. When they come back the next day there is a liquid layer floating on their biodiesel. My guess was that it is liquid KOH soap floating on the top. The barrels are at about 130F still in the morning so the soap is still liquid. Since there is no methanol it will not dissolve into the biodiesel.

I have not heard back from them since I suggested that the layer might be soap.

-Jim

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post