BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    GL's Eco-System processor
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 19

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL's Eco-System processor
 Login/Join

posted
Hi folks,

I've been running a variation of the Appleseed and GL1 day process, which should be more economical to run and safer to use.

The 'GL 1 day' thread has become gi-normous, so I've tried to condense much of what we've learned from that thread into this new process.

I like processing with this new system, as there are no methanol fumes, the pump never gets air in it when you inject methoxide, you don't need to water wash, you don't need to pressurise your system. You'll never get an emulsion either.

You can quickly de-water your oil in the processor too, AND collect the water you removed - you may like to know what % water your oil had.

Plus there are a few ideas on how to control your pump and heater to reduce the risk of an in-tank fire.

The original (obsolete) description is here.

My latest version is here, added 22 April 2007...
here.

Let me know if you find any errors, and feel free to ask if I've not explained anything clearly.

The description is still in progress, photos to follow.

Hope it helps,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrahamLaming,

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your continued work-you are quite right about the other thread. It is nice to see all of these ideas coming together in one place.
You are still doing a one-stage process, correct?

Location: Spokane,WA | Registered: May 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Graham,
Yes, definitely thanks for keeping the research going and on starting a new thread on this. The old thread was like a major chore to read and keep up with....Wondering if there is an easy way to convert this for the ones of us that use hot water heaters as their reactors? I like the idea of a waterless wash, and not having the extra expense of Amberlite, etc. To be safe and re claim as much methanol as possible is definitely the best way to make BD..I don't know if the little HF pumps that most people use will be strong enough to use the venturi on the outlet side..Forgot to pick up a tee when I went to Lowes this mornign to make my own venturi as a test...

99 GMC Turbo Diesel

Location: Portsmouth, VA | Registered: July 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi fatkid,

Yes, I use a one-stage process, and it passes the 23/7 test [Edit - should be 27/3 test]. Could be adapted to 2 stage or to acid-base, especially as it is ideal for removing water created after the acid stage.

Hi vaman4215,

The "Apple Turnover" would allow you to use a water heater and get good glycerol draining - that's what I use, but it's an upside down English water heater, made from copper.

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

posted Hide Post
Very cool stuff. I see some things I'll certainly be incorporating into the still ongoing design and build process of the 55 gallon drum processor.

Also, I'm getting access to a lathe, so we're going to try making up a "true" venturi with the better angles on the inlet and outlet: 30 degrees inlet and 5 degrees outlet, if I recall correctly from the other thread. The little basic ones didn't work well at all with the static mixers, barely any pulled vacuum and not enough to draw up a liquid, so maybe this will work better.

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham-

Thank you for the excellent tutorial--

Have you considered adding heat to the glycerol collection vessel so as to simultaneously collect the rest of the surplus methanol ?

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
quote:
23/7 test
? Is this anything like the Jan Warnqvist's Conversion Test, the 27/3, test?

I haven't been able to locate the brass tee on this side of the pond yet. Where have others found it?

posted Hide Post
Hi fatkid,

Ooops! Yes, exactly the same, should be 27/3 !

Hi ReM,

That's a great idea, may as well do it while it's still hot and liquid. Some extra effort needed in the beginning to add the extra heater / controls etc, but will pay off quickly in time saved and less hassle every time thereafter. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Do you think you will be able to use the reactor to distill the methanol from the glycerol while still liquid (rather than reheating), or will the larger tank head space significantly reduce the vapour pressure, making it more difficult to achieve efficient operation? (Making it a better option better to aggregate your glycerol)

How much tank head space do you have when processing methanol removal from your BD? My thoughts are that the side inlet on your tank would also be more efficient at creating a spray than a top inlet tank that I have.

Location: Wellington, NZ | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham
This is very interesting, but have you abandoned your work on electrostatic settling?

Location: Murphy, NC | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi nzunimogger,

I have around 12 litres of vapour space with my normal load of oil + methanol. The smaller the airspace, the more you can squeeze out but I suppose a bigger sapce would be workable. 50 litres of vapour space is the equivalent of about 1 litre of liquid methanol.

My element wouldn't be covered by 1 load of glycerol, either - I need at least 3 past reaction loads of glycerol.

ReM's idea of heating in the glycerol collection vessel is a nice one - I need some beer kegs....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Bill,

The electrostatic separator is still in progress, not abandoned at all.

It's just that the main processor has been in various stages of bits and pieces over the past 6 weeks, while I've been working on the reactor.

The reactor has been my main focus, as it probably applies to more folks than the electrostatic work. And I need a working reactor to test the separator on , no stuff to separate, no separator!

I really need to retire with a nice big pension (dream!) so I can spend more time on this stuff.
I could be quite happy as a full-time tinkerer...

In the mean-time, the need to 'appear' each day at my 'proper' job, the fun of being with a young family, and a bicycle that needs regular peddling keep me variously occupied in other stuff.

More to come, it just takes time...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamLaming:
Hi Bill,

The electrostatic separator is still in progress, not abandoned at all.

It's just that the main processor has been in various stages of bits and pieces over the past 6 weeks, while I've been working on the reactor.

The reactor has been my main focus, as it probably applies to more folks than the electrostatic work. And I need a working reactor to test the separator on , no stuff to separate, no separator!

I really need to retire with a nice big pension (dream!) so I can spend more time on this stuff.
I could be quite happy as a full-time tinkerer...

In the mean-time, the need to 'appear' each day at my 'proper' job, the fun of being with a young family, and a bicycle that needs regular peddling keep me variously occupied in other stuff.

More to come, it just takes time...

Graham
Oh, come on. That just sounds like some excuse to me. This is not supposed to be about your needs, what about us, what about our needs??? Wink (just kidding)

Location: Murphy, NC | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would also like to say THANK YOU for this wealth of knowledge, but it hardly seems adequate.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.
WEBN

P.S. You have a full time job AND you accomplish this as a hobby? Do you ever sleep? Smile

Location: Washington (the STATE) | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham,
How would you setup your GL's Eco-System using an Apple Turnover? If you could post a drawing like you have for your systme it would be great. I really like your approach to making biodiesel with no inpact on the environment.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:

Ooops! Yes, exactly the same, should be 27/3 !

I had to make sure as things move quickly and I don't want to get left behind!

posted Hide Post
Hi vorvon46 - I'll see what I can do.

posted Hide Post
Hi Graham, I've taken great interest in your Eco-system and produce one for myself. I looked at your venturi design (great) and thought of another simple design, two 15mm x 22mm reducers soldered 15 to 15 with a small linking 15mm pipe inside. One 2" lenght of 5/16 copper tube (caravan gas tube) soldered at 90deg. onto the 15mm section and drilled through after fixing. so far I have achieved a 6feet lift of water, never found total lift cos I ran out of tube. I'll take a photo and post it later with my triple inline mixer.

Location: Suffolk, UK | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graham,
How would you setup your GL's Eco-System using an Apple Turnover? If you could post a drawing like you have for your system it would be great. I really like your approach to making biodiesel with no impact on the environment.

Thanks

I am working on this myself. I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site and the willingness to share it.

Location: Indiana | Registered: February 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jamesrl:
Hi Graham, I've taken great interest in your Eco-system and produce one for myself. I looked at your venturi design (great) and thought of another simple design, two 15mm x 22mm reducers soldered 15 to 15 with a small linking 15mm pipe inside. One 2" lenght of 5/16 copper tube (caravan gas tube) soldered at 90deg. onto the 15mm section and drilled through after fixing. so far I have achieved a 6feet lift of water, never found total lift cos I ran out of tube. I'll take a photo and post it later with my triple inline mixer.
Any pictures of this yet? I am having trouble with pounding out GL's latest gadget!

posted Hide Post
re electrostaic seperation of the glycerol. Does this remove ALL of the glycerol with the methanol still in place? Including the portion normally dissolved in the methanol?

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post