BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    where are the water test results regarding glycerin drying WVO?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where are the water test results regarding glycerin drying WVO?
 Login/Join

posted
My eyes hurt from reading.
It is mentioned everywhere, even on the biodiesel tutorial, that glycerin pre-treatment will lower water content of WVO yet I haven't found any sandy brae tests confirming this. A carbide manometer would be useless since carbide reacts quickly with methanol.

Location: Saint Paul, MN. | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here I am sooty, a man to the rescue.

Tests by my s/b and k/f

Water in my well settled oil 800 to 900ppm

After glyc washing 350ppm

Water content of the glycerol used in these tests 1 to 4% I don't know what the water content of the glycerol would have to be to reduce it's affinity for water but obviously higher that the stuff I used.

That said the question does beg; why do we bother getting the oil nice and dry when we add so much water in the methoxide mix?

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dgs.

The fact had been repeated so often I thought it would be easier to find.
I WBD and wondered if my methanol poor glycerin would be worth using to dry my oil, which titrates at 0.8 so little need to lower that.
I like tossing it into a warmed batch of WVO and letting it settle, dealing with the hardened sludge in the fall.

But water in methoxide, yes it is several times higher PPM than our WVO. Woooh lots of heated posts on that one: qicklime, cement etc.
I tried drying it with salt, bentonite and lastly microsieve but couldn't test them with my carbide manometer.
I still add microsieve to my recycled meth "on faith" that it works since it leaves just enough suspended powder to make a Tralles measurement off.

When does Sodium Methylate become more cost/time effective than trying to improve our home brews of Lye and Methanol?

Location: Saint Paul, MN. | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dgs:
quote:
Originally posted by sooty:
Thank you Dgs.

The fact had been repeated so often I thought it would be easier to find.
I WBD and wondered if my methanol poor glycerin would be worth using to dry my oil, which titrates at 0.8 so little need to lower that.
I like tossing it into a warmed batch of WVO and letting it settle, dealing with the hardened sludge in the fall.

But water in methoxide, yes it is several times higher PPM than our WVO.

When does Sodium Methylate become more cost/time effective than trying to improve our home brews of Lye and Methanol?

Hi sooty,
I'm sure that glycerol that was methanol poor would still do a good job of drying your oil.

Re your last question, I suppose it all depends on how you value your bio, but here in the UK pump diesel is on the rise and on average it is £1.07 per litre. If we value bio as the same price then on my 200 litre batch using 1/3 KOH and 2/3 ASM as the catalyst I will end up with 12 to 14 litres of de-methed bio more than if I had used 100% KOH. The extra cost involved is £2.30 per batch, so on those figures it has to be cost effective.

Cheers, Dave.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post