BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Choosing a pump for a processor.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing a pump for a processor.
 Login/Join

posted
Understanding I dont have a strong enough pump to make Bio in the quantities I need with a good conversion rate I am looking to get a new stronger pump. I will be making about 200 liter batches.
What should I be looking for specification wise? I read in Murphy's machines web page I probably need a 1HP pump.

The higher the RPM the better?
Does it have be a centrifugal pump with an impeller?
Self priming have the same effect of non self priming?
I was looking at a gear pump which has a built in heater which would be nice.

I might have a bigger processor one day...

Any thing else to consider before I get one?

Thanks
YTK

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ytk:
I read in Murphy's machines web page I probably need a 1HP pump.

There's your answer! The HVI-5 would work fine.. get the HVI-10 if you ever plan on going bigger.

quote:

The higher the RPM the better?

Sort of but not exactly. What you want is a lot of shearing (Sheering?).. Our pumps run in the 3600 RPM range which is pretty standard. I selected the impeller in our pump design for its high slippage (shearing).. this makes for far superior mixing.

quote:

Does it have be a centrifugal pump with an impeller?

The short and simple answer is yes. Other pumps could be made to work but not as easily or efficiently as a centrifugal.

quote:

Self priming have the same effect of non self priming?

As far as mixing is concerned, yes.. but most centrifugal self priming pumps are not true self-priming.. they need an initial prime to get going.. and that's the problem.. there's always liquid left in the pump housing... Its not a catastrophic thing but its preferred to have a system that drains completely.

quote:

I was looking at a gear pump which has a built in heater which would be nice.

I wouldn't recommend a gear pump.

quote:

Any thing else to consider before I get one?

Murphy's Machines HVI series pumps use off-the-shelf components for the wear items. Our shaft seal and motor can both be replaced via any industrial supply company. No China garbage. Heavy duty cast iron pump, totally enclosed fan cooled NEMA 56C face dual voltage motors. Both items easy to find.

Very hard to beat the quality and price of our units.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Hi Murphy,

Thanks for the detailed answer. Unfortunately I am not in North America. I need to find something suitable locally ...

YTK

posted Hide Post
In that case the forum at http://www.biopowered.co.uk/forum/index.php will probably be more useful.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post