BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Pump Washing Biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pump Washing Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all and Biotom in particular.On reading the procedure for doing pump washing it says to do 3 static washes before doing the pump washes. For the pump washes it says not to add more than 5-7% water but doesn't say what the water percentage is for the static washes.Perhaps I have missed it somewhere.Also hot water is recommended, if I were to heat the biodiesel and wash with water at ambient temp how would this work?

Location: Kokstad.Kwazulu Natal.South Africa | Registered: June 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The primary consideration when using a vigorous washing method is to be certain that none of the glycerine by product ends up in the wash cycle as this is what will cause emulsions. That and if you have a severely incomplete reaction.

If you can get the biodiesel , sans glycerine, in a wash tank you can be as vigorous as you want with it and it will inevitably always separate well.

Washing with very hot water will speed up the process, but is not absolutely mandatory; ambient will work too. Washing hot will allow you to dry quicker when using air flow to evaporate the residual water.

The glycerine layer is for all intents and purposes an almost finished soap concentrate and as such if allowed into the wash cycle will pretty much guarantee an emulsion as that soap is churned around in the impeller and mixed into the biodiesel. Keep it out of the picture and churn away. The water and oil will easily separate.

my water washing page

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post