BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Pennsylvania laws...

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pennsylvania laws...
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I was curious if there were any laws in the US about producing biodiesel... do you have to mention it? any forms you have to fill out? or can you just build a shed in your back yard and throw some sand/rock down to extend your driveway...
I'm sure I would have to confront my township about adding a shed with big storage tanks on the side... but I feel that if I were to start producing, keep it pleasant to look at (or camo it...), and make an example of safe production procedures then they might shrug me off...
also do you need a license to store caustics/explosives in Pa? if so, how much is it per year? and what are the limits on amounts?
would I have to say anything to the PenDOT?
in short... what is all of the red tape BS that I have to dance through to have a functional rig...?
-Ian

posted Hide Post
Contact your local fire chief. He is going to be your new best friend and you better keep him happy. Besides he has all the answers. Also consult your insurance agent to see if it will void your policy. My former carrier made no differentiation between me and Mobil oil when it came to producing biodiesel, they said I was operating a refinery.

If you are going to produce it for sale, yes there are a myriad of regulations that apply. Most home brewers operate under the radar and produce only for their own use. Contact your state revenue department for particulars on taxation. If you sell fuel without collecting taxes you are looking for trouble, the IRS has no sense of humor.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironic-Sobriquet:
also do you need a license to store caustics/explosives in Pa?
Ian
Check This site For information concerning the storage of explosives in Pennsylvania

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironic-Sobriquet:
also do you need a license to store caustics/explosives in Pa? if so, how much is it per year? and what are the limits on amounts?
-Ian

Ian
What are you storing "explosives" for. There are no explosives used in the manufacture of Biodiesel.

If you are believing Methanol is an explosive then your discussions with your fire marshal and or insurance rep are likely to cost you more than they should as it will be plainly obvious to them that you don't have a complete (or even basic) understanding of the chemicals you are dealing with and as such are likely to be a higher risk to them.

Be careful who you tell about storing "explosives" someone may actually take you seriously.

Methanol is a flammable liquid with a reasonably low flshpoint which would create a potentially explosive atmosphere, maybe you are being confused with this.

Location: East Yorkshire | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good resource is this PDF prepared by Penn State concerning small scale biodiesel production and saftey

-Ian
"Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full."
"Arguing with a government inspector is like wrestling with the pig. You both get dirty but after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Location: Trapped in a world before later on | Registered: November 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post