BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Ethanol gelling

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethanol gelling
 Login/Join

posted
I make biodiesel using ethanol. There is no problem after heating and washing, but after drying, gelation occurs. Why?

posted Hide Post
quote:

You've got soap. Meaning water in your reaction.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much water does your ethanol have in it?

posted Hide Post
water: ≤ 0.1 %

posted Hide Post
Super dry ethanol (99.9%) ? I didn't know anyone sells that. Anyway the catalyst has water in it and possibly your oil has water in it. I made ethyl biodiesel with 99.5% ethanol, 199 proof. I used potassium hydroxide with no problems. The only possible cause of your gelling is probably soap. I expect you should not wash your ethyl biodiesel with water, dry wash. I read a formula for making super dry ethanol for use in making barbituric acid and its derivatives. I didn't know anybody sells anhydrous industrial ethanol like that. . I was able to buy 99.5% ethanol, but not 99.9% anhydrous ethanol.

posted Hide Post
I thought about sources of water in the starting materials. I heated 157.3 grams of technical grade sodium hydroxide hot, to maybe 200 degrees centigrade under 100 millimeters atmospheric pressure in a vacuum still. I obtained a 3.9 gram loss of mass from the sodium hydroxide. So the sodium hydroxide that I used was at least 2.479% water. That's another source of water in the reaction. Your oil may have been wet. When I made biodiesel using new corn oil + potassium hydroxide + 99.5% ethanol + heat + mixing , I got a regular reaction with glycerine drop out as usual. It seems to me the only possible cause of your gelling is water in one of the starting materials.

posted Hide Post
Where do I find the "like" button?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Paulus,

quote:
Where do I find the "like" button?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Tilly, and a beautiful "like" button it is.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post