BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Titrating with Turmeric vs Phenolphthalein
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titrating with Turmeric vs Phenolphthalein
 Login/Join

posted
I did a video this weekend on titrating wvo with Turmeric vs Phenolphthalein.

The color change for Turmeric goes from a nice yellow to a deep red vs. the pink color that Phenolphthalein turns.

Here's the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK6W2Z3rRUQ

Pretty cool stuff!
-Graydon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graydon Blair,

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a turmeric fan. When I first got started, the phenolphthalein color change was just too inconclusive for me. Turmeric was easy.

Location: Mt Airy, MD | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turmeric hands down

posted Hide Post
I was originally taught how to titrate oil using turmeric, and it has always worked fine for me and my batches. Plus, it's cheap and very easy to find!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Vid looks great,Not trying to put a damper on things,but I always blank my ipa first in case it has gone acidic(which my current lot has-not an issue as long as you blank it first)
I premix my tumeric with ipa (run it thru a coffee filter)and store it in a dropper bottle-just add as many drops as colour intensity you want.(blanking of course ,before adding oil).
The good thing with tumeric is it is non toxic compared to phenolphthalein.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yep. It's definitely a good idea to blank the IPA.

Someone else mentioned that it'd be cool to test the Turmeric against Phenolphthalein directly to see if there's much of a difference between the two as far as titration solution used.

Looks like I'll have to do another video again. Wink

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's an excellent video demonstration. Adding the blank titration would make it even better.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that video, especially the glance into the camera and "knock yourself out" comment.
Humor aside, good video Graydon.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started on turmeric 'cause we could not find any phenolphalein locally, never looked back. Cool vid.

Land Cruiser 4.2tdi, Figo 1.4tdci,
W123 240d

Location: Bottom tip of Africa, Port Elizabeth | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so I'm slow to the questions...

what about a comparison to the digital Ph meter?

I switched to turmeric yrs ago...one the the best moves in my BD making career. i was using phenol red..I know not the same as ..phenolphtalein..but so?
its cheap..
its easy to get..any where in the world!!
and it works..

for me unless your checking for soaps in biodiesel..
turmeric is the answer!!

-dkenny

ps forget the rest!!

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from ph meter to turmeric for titrations! turmeric gives very good results and is much faster than using the ph meter. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always used tumeric right from the start when I saw Graydon Blair's video on titration. What a precise video it is... I see from the sites in the USA that not only is it an excellent chemical
for titration but it seems to be all the rage all over the world in terms of cancer prevention. I was ignorant of this benefit up until today so I'll be putting a bit of it in the occasional curry !!!!! The jar I got for pence would 'last me out' dozens of times if I only used it for titration because I have only used one powder 'dose' in two years of fuel production and I titrate of course every time I make a 175 litre 'batch' of fuel.
Graydon --thanks so much for the sound advice. Regards all in the USA from Mick H in the UK

Location: Nottingham in England | Registered: August 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I used phenolphthalein 5% solution to titrate new corn oil. It worked. What's wrong with using phenolphthalein? It is easily available from Hach Company, in Loveland, Colorado, USA. Hach Co. mailed it to me. Hach sells water testing supplies.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WesleyB:
What's wrong with using phenolphthalein?

Nothing. They are almost identical. There may be a slight interpretation error with turmeric as it goes from yellow, through orange then to red. With phenolphthalein, the color goes from clear to pink. No mistaking the end point. I have always used phenolphthalein in my titrations. I bought a large bottle of the powder from a chemical supply house. Disolve it in 99.9 IPA. I also did a titration comparison between phenolphthalein, turmeric and phenol red. It shows the different points at which each turns color. Phenol red BTW, is NOT what we want to use. I include the pictures, a titration video, and both indicators in my titration kit. Also directions on how to make turmeric indicator for those who do not wish to buy refills from me.
Lastly, turmeric is easier to obtain and cheaper than phenolphthalein. Phenolphthalein is also a carcinogen. HTH Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using a digital ph meter, but changed to tumeric about 3 years ago (never looked back since)!

I prepared a pint jar of turmeric (premixed & filtered) over 2 years ago (mason jar) and it continues to give reliable results every time (no bad batches)!

Only question I have is how dark do you fine folks triate to? (I usually take it past 'pink grapefruit', to the color of a ripe 'pomegranate'.)

Thanks!!!

posted Hide Post

Location: SFBay | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Gas:
I started using a digital ph meter, but changed to tumeric about 3 years ago (never looked back since)!

I prepared a pint jar of turmeric (premixed & filtered) over 2 years ago (mason jar) and it continues to give reliable results every time (no bad batches)!

Only question I have is how dark do you fine folks triate to? (I usually take it past 'pink grapefruit', to the color of a ripe 'pomegranate'.)

Thanks!!!

Yeah,I wait for the dark red,I blank to dark red also

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taralec:
quote:
Originally posted by Green Gas:

Thanks!!!

Yeah,I wait for the dark red,I blank to dark red also

Ditto!
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
wrong using phenol vs tumeric..well not wrong..both will give good results.but compare costs..
I switched somewhere in 2005..from phenol red..to phenolphthalein..to tumeric..

let's see since 2005 sometime..when I bought the two OZ bag of tumeric for $1.25..I still have about 95%..and it still works..I store it unused and unmixed..

so wrong??no but i'm cheap..the other 2 cost more than that.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like turmeric on my eggs, but I like to titrate with it!
Never tried that phenol stuff on my eggs tho.
Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post