BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The best method I have found is the pop-top type water bottle tops,, for draining the Gly from the 2 litre bottle after mixing,,, I set the whole setup in a mason jar upside down,, for both the main separation of Glycerin, and then again for the wash process.

If wash water looks like milk,, you ain't done.

I softly wash the first 2 times,, then more agitation each time after,, till I get clear water.

Also a tip for drying your washed bio in the Dr Pepper method is a small fish tank air pump,, some 1/4 hose with a small bolt crammed in the end,, and a few holes punched in the tubing. Aquarium type air stones will break apart in the bio,, So I just use the hose with pin holes in it.

Test you Bio with the 3/27 method,, AFTER the Gly separation,, and BEFORE you wash. That way if it don't pass, you can do an extra conversion to get it to pass,, BEFORE you wash/dry and use.

2 Dr Pepper method versions of good fuel,,,ie, 2Lt of good bio fuel,, is the BEST additive for lubrication in your Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. With that, theres no need for other additives,, like Power Service in the white or grey bottles.

Al Gore did NOT Invent the Internet----> He Invented Global Warming!

Location: Lake Odessa, Michigan | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.dieselplace.com/for...wthread.php?t=177728

Here is a page to a study that check out ALL of the Major Diesel fuel additives,, It's a lot of reading,, but turns out that Bio-Diesel, is the No.1 additive to use in your Diesel.

Al Gore did NOT Invent the Internet----> He Invented Global Warming!

Location: Lake Odessa, Michigan | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been making a few batches in glass 5 gallon water bottles, heated in a laundry sink.
As well as one batch in a gallon separatory funnel.

So far, I've just been using a siphon to get the biodiesel out.

What I discovered with the separatory funnel is that the glycerin (NaOH) is very sticky stuff. When I thought I drained all the glycerin, I'd let it sit for a few hours and it kept coming back. And, now that I think it is finally all drained, I still have a mess of glycerin at the bottom of the funnel.

Anyway, I let it sit a few days, then pull the bio off, but not quite down to the bottom. I'll reprocess the glycerin later.

I will keep this in mind when building my processor, and hopefully use separate pathways for glycerin removal and biodiesel removal.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
What I discovered with the separatory funnel is that the glycerin (NaOH) is very sticky stuff. When I thought I drained all the glycerin, I'd let it sit for a few hours and it kept coming back. And, now that I think it is finally all drained, I still have a mess of glycerin at the bottom of the funnel.
Try doing a 5% water pre-wash.

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try doing a 5% water pre-wash.

You're suggesting to simply add water to the glycerol to make it more fluid? Would that water be 5% of the glycerol volume or 5% of the total volume of biodiesel and glycerol?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
You're suggesting to simply add water to the glycerol to make it more fluid? Would that water be 5% of the glycerol volume or 5% of the total volume of biodiesel and glycerol?

The amount of water is 5% of the total volume of biodiesel and glycerol. The water gets mixed in after the batch is complete but before draining the glycerol. It's the same old 5% water pre-wash procedure that was on the CBT. It's archived here.

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Right now I'm going anhydrous. And I have a lot of methanol sitting in my glycerin that I don't want to blast away... just yet.

Yeah, I know it is "playing with fire". But, I was always a fire bug.

Some people mix in some of the last batch's glycerin with the next batch. So, keeping that in mind, one might not need to make a processor that fully drains.

I suppose my other question I'm trying to decide is capacity. While a half gallon soda bottle won't go far. My 5 (or 7) gallon water jugs do well considering that I probably use less than 20 gallons of fuel in a typical month. And if I do a veggie conversion, that usage may drop further.

Road Trips, of course, would push my water jug processing capacity.

posted Hide Post
I am so distracted by this forum!

I am going to try some Doctor Pepper batches this upcoming weekend and also try to see if I can fix the bad batch of B100 I have, one liter at time just for educational purposes.

After I have a dozen or so Doctor Pepper batches succeed, I'd like to step up to five gallon batches.

Anyone have a tried and true five gallon batch set up?

GulDam

Location: SFBay | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep...
I've done several batches in 5 gallon glass carboys. It can also be done in cubies and plastic carboys.

Heating can be done with hot water in a large laundry sink, or I found it was quite effective to sit the carboy outside in the hot summer sun.

I would drain the biodiesel out using a siphon tube.

I was running the biodiesel unwashed. However, apparently the methanol traps soap.

I also had a couple of batches with "snow" which I believe is due to incomplete conversion. Anyway, I'm currently stopped while getting setup for Methanol recovery and perhaps drywashing.

posted Hide Post
@Tilly, sir do you have calculations for KOH? thanks!