BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well I made a test batch and used the virgin oil and it don't look quite right, i have pics of it. I let it set overnight and thought that it should be clearer. can I post pics on here so maybe you could see what ya think? Maybe tell me what i did wrong. I wound up finding 1 liter of oil.

posted Hide Post
Hello Slinger30

It may take several days for biodiesel to clear.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tilly, i'll let it set for a few days and see what happens. Smile

posted Hide Post
Do you know if it will cause me problems down the road to put all of my collected unprocessed oil in one 55gl drum?? I don't have a filtering setup yet and I need to clean my 5gl buckets to take back to my pickup points.

posted Hide Post
Hello everybody!

I'm happy to say, I've just been staring at a jar for the last 2 hours, like an authentic idiot.

Finally, after a lot of reading, I just made my first batch, using virgin oil.
However, I didn't quite use the Dr. Pepper technique. After carefully considering the variables posted below:

1) my resources at this time are limited.
2)I have a Harbor Freight scale, which lets me measure tenths of a gram.
3)I have several mayonnaise jars, made from the same PET as soda bottles, but much thicker.

I decided to go with the "Hellmann's" technique, which is like the Dr. Pepper, but making only 1/2 L. batches in a mayonnaise jar.
So I mixed 1/2 L. virgin oil with 125 cc Heet and 2.4 g. NaOH, shook it like the end of the world was coming, and let it settle. As expected, a few minutes later a layer of glycerin started to appear, and so did a smile on my face.
As of now, I'm looking at a very cloudy (as expected) biodiesel layer, and a darker, very clear glycerin layer.

So I'd like to take a moment to thank everybody here from the bottom of my heart, for taking the time to help me, and for ultimately making this a reality.

That said, I have 2 questions:

1) I was expecting the glycerin layer to be about 20% of the total, but I got much less. I still didn't measure it, but I'm guessing about 12 to 15% at most. Is this normal, or should I take it as an indication of an incomplete reaction?

2) In the Dr. Pepper explanation, Tilly said that when using virgin oil the glycerin wouldn't be that much darker than the BD, but I got a darker, very well defined glycerin layer. The BD is very light, almost like the color of the virgin oil, but cloudy, and the glycerin looks like whiskey. Is this normal?

I didn't do a 3/27 yet. I'll probably do it tomorrow (if I can sleep tonight) and I'll post the result.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the same reaction I got, and it passed the 3/27 test. Good work!

posted Hide Post
Hello berny, congratulations on your success!

The shape of the dr Pepper has been scientifically optomised to make biodiesel, but in a pinch...

The amount of your glycerine layer will vary according to a number of things.
If you use new vegi oil it will be less than if you used waste oil.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, and thanks all of you for the help. The more time I spend in this forum, the more I realize the kind of frustrations I'd be going through if I had stayed with the "info" from JTF.
Right now, after almost 13 hours, the BD is starting to clear up nicely. And I still can't help smiling every time I look at it. Smile

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I just did a 3/27.
Actually, I did a 3/27, 4/27, 5/27...all the way to 9/27 (1/3) at 71*F, with no precipitate at all, then I put it in the fridge, where it got down to 50*F, and a ton of precipitate showed up (the liquid was very cloudy, almost like milk), and then I took it off the fridge, and when it got to 65*F I shook it again, completely clear, no precipitate.

Man! WHAT A F#@*&NG RUSH!!! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Well it's been about 2 years since I started. Was going good that first summer doing research, getting supplies, etc. Made a test Dr. Pepper batch using virgin oil, worked great. Got real busy with work and other things and dropped the project. Now that $5.15 desiel fuel over Memorial day weekend really hurt. I have reactiviated my project. Have been collecting oil, have about 300 gallons ready to go. Still have not got the big processor, that is in the works. However I am going to start small. Tonight I made my first Dr. Pepper batch with my used oil, it is looking good. One note though, I did not have any clear 2 liter bottles, used a green one from Mountian Dew. I titrated the oil several times using all 3 methods, Phenol Red, Tumeric and phenolpthaleine. Each time it came out between 1.2 and 1.5. I used 6.4g of lye and 200ml of methanol (dry gas). I was getting worried, did not see the separation with the green bottle until I held a flashlight up to the back. Looking real good after 45 mins. I a 6 gallon stainless steel bucket that had something to do with milking, it has a dished out bottom with a center drain, perfect for what I want. I have measured out my 4 gallons of oil and am going to try the first 4 gallon batch this weekend. Thanks for all the good info on this forum.

posted Hide Post
Hello Ken

Good luck on your "Upsized" batch.

posted Hide Post
I found a bad side-effect to TOO MUCH agitation during the one-hour period. I had what appeared at first to be a GREAT looking Dr. Pepper batch, settling and separating just fine. I read too much into the 5 seconds/4 times first hour and did it. It looked so good by the 30-minute mark I put it in the truck to go show a friend. The bumps from driving the truck seemed to break everything up and the glycerin never did settle the same again...so now I need to make a new batch and just use the vigorous shaking method and just leave it alone.

Mad

Does anyone else have any problems with over-agitation at low speed causing gelling or white floating material in the upper fluid?

Location: UT | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello UT_Raptor, welcome to the forum

Can you be more specific as to what you mean when you said "the glycerin never did settle the same again"
The glycerine should just settle right back out any number of times.

posted Hide Post
Tilly:

Here's what happened...
followed the technique as written and everything went quite well. I feel the only "if" variable was my poor scale which left a big question mark on the actual gram weight of catalyst (soda-lye/drain opener type). After the initial 10-second shake and settle, things were going quite well and progressing nicely. I decided to add in the four, five-second shake idea and shook again once every 15 minutes for 5 seconds each. As you stated, the glycerin settled out each and every time and it did seem that the additional, violent shake seemed to re-mix things and get rid of the foam forming at the top.

So by about 41 minutes into the process, I wanted to take the bottle over to my buddy's house (who helped in the mixing process but had to leave suddenly). Enroute, the bottle simply sat upright on the floorboard. I got to the house only a mile or two away, and as I drove up, the bottle tipped at about the 45 minute mark. I took the opportunity to give it yet another good shake...and at that point, it still settled right back down.

However, I also wanted to show a local gas station owner who was also very excited to see our first go so I put the bottle in a more secure location in the truck and 'headed down the hill.' This is where things got strange...as we were now at the 48:00 - 60:00 mark in the process. I took the bottle out of the truck to go and show and noticed that things were pretty badly stirred up (slow agitation, bumps from the road) but they weren't settling again.

Once I got home, it became obvious that it wasn't going to settle again and even today the upper solution is very clear, but with white floating clouds throughout the solution...and my solid glycerin bottom is markedly less than it was yesterday.

I did another batch, using just your initial hard 10-second shake and sat it in a firm place for the night. Much better results, as this morning I had about 1 inch of settling glycerin on the bottom and the upper part was cloudy liguid (seems normal).

posted Hide Post
Tilly:

in answering a question on the virgin olive oil above, you mentioned several days for the fuel to clear. Do you notice any difference in leaving the bottle out in the sun vs. room temp vs. in the shed/shady conditions? And if so, what do you think the deal is? Heat? Light?

posted Hide Post
Hello UT-Raptor

With refrence to the first post.
I would open the bottle and see if the contents have gelled.
It has been my experience that when using NaOH in the reaction, if you use too much NaOH the contents of the bottle can gel without you realizing it has happened.

In answer to your second post:
That is a tricky question to answer if the biodiesel is not washed. I can not really give you a good answer.

posted Hide Post
I made batch two later that same night, and after several days of settling, everything looks GREAT. So far, the upper layer is cloudy and not crystal clear so I'm giving it another day to settle or clear.

posted Hide Post
^^ It will clear after it has been washed and dried for a few days.

posted Hide Post
This is very interesting. This fellow predicted 4 dollar a gallon gas back in Oct 2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147&hl=en

It appears that there's more to the energy crisis than we thought.

posted Hide Post
Superorb:

Yep...crystal clear after only three hours in the sun venting yesterday but it stayed cloudy until it was washed. Washing went just as Tilly said with gentle agitation at the beginning until about wash 5. By wash 5 the water was relatively clean...although I did notice more foam and bubbles in the water layer with the harder agitation. I also noticed a slight drop in yield after the wash.