BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What type of oil are you using?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Tilly
its out a the batch i already ran once it didnt come out clear so i took a liter of it and done a titration on it it needed one grm lye so i used 3.5+1gr lye then 250 ml myth mixed and gave a good shake waited 30 mins it came clear as a bell with about maybe 5ml waste at the bottom a the bottle now the question is what would make the already rum batch i took the test batch from not coome clear first time could it be not enough lye or myth i have let the big batch i took the test batch from set for a week or longer i have washed it and dryed it with the titration test when doing it should it hold its color for 30 sec before fadding or what when i ran the big batch i did titration it was 5+3per liter
im not quiting i knw im almost there
the raw wvo may be hydrogenated with a small amount a tallow in it
hate to take up yals time but it has puzzled me

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

My experience with re-titrating a batch of incomplete conversion biodiesel is that it usually only titrates at about 0.1 or 0.2.
A titration of 1 is not common.

The standard re-process is 1g NaOH in 50 ml methanol/ litre WVO.

There is probably soap holding onto moisture in your cloudy batch.

Allowing it to set in the sun for several weeks with the top off should clear it.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks tilly let you knw what happens after more drying

posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly
Well i washed and dryed the batch a fuel lost some a my fuel in the wash like maybe two and a half gal im thinking i didnt give the fuel and water time to split well i let it drye for three days and its fine whats left of it well now im on a bigger batch i just made it today i did titration and then a liter and it done well after a good shake in five minutes it began it seperation so i did the twenty liters it too done well i think i have noticed on both large batchs there was a skin like flim on top after it was done is this normal and what is it now on the the question when i do the first mist was which well be my first time trying it how long should i let it have to split and is it better to do with hot or warm water and out a the twenty liters a fuel made after washing how much should i lost in the wash process just a though to ask the fuel looks good now but its cloudy not clear will the wash take care a that im thinking temp at mix has a great deal to do with the hold process and a good mix
thanks to you for all your help

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

I am glad to hear things are working well.
The skin on top is soap.
To start with I would allow at least an hour to settle after washing.
Watch the wash water as you drain it and when it starts to "Thicken" you should stop because that indicates there is still biodiesel in it.

I washed with just cold water from the tap, warm is probably better.
You should lose very little in the wash, only 2 or 3%

posted Hide Post
After Having it sit for 24hours after removing the glycerine it was near clear at this point is there a need to wash thanks.

posted Hide Post
Hello rustymich, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successful batch

Washing is strictly a personal preference thing one decides after reading all the pros and cons.
If there is a gel present in the biodiesel (Not the glycerine layer) you should wash. Otherwise it is up to you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:
Washing is strictly a personal preference thing one decides after reading all the pros and cons.
If there is a gel present in the biodiesel (Not the glycerine layer) you should wash.

If you don't wanna wash then you could filter it thru course cloth... and add a little isopropyl or ethanol say 2% to keep the rest safely disolved as your methanol evaporates out

Location: west of the black stump (sometimes) | Registered: September 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly
You ask me what type a oil i was usiing it is soybean oil with tbhq and citric aicd and dimethylpolysiloxane added i got hold of a bx it came in in shipment it said on it clear liquid shortening on the label and the ingredients were at the bottom is this ok for BD and have made another 20 litter batch and it has seemed to do well the last in cold wweather has a settling in the bottom after washing that when i bring in the house and at room temp it breaks down and turns to fuel is that from tallow any input from everyone is welcome
cr

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride
It sounds like it is OK.

posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to make my first test batch and I just wanted to check if my titration results are realistic.

I did a blank titration with my 1g Lye in 1L distilled water. I used 5 drops of phenol red and I needed 1 drop of the lye/water titrate to turn it pink.

I then used 10ml isopropanol 99% 1ml oil and 5 drops phenol red. I needed .5 ml titrate to turn it pink! I did the same test twice with the same result

This is used home fryer oil that was run through a coffee filter.

By my calculations to do a 1 L batch I need 5g + .5g NAOH lye (5.5g total) to make my catalyst?

Thanks!

Sean

Location: Vancouver Island | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello spetch

It sounds good.
If you are using phenol red you should go for the darkest perminant colour.
With the titration you have I would use 5.5g- 6g NaOH in the reaction if you are using 200ml or more methanol.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Tilly!

That titration gave me a good pink colour that outlasted the 30 second swirling!

I was just expecting to need more using used oil!

I am following the Dr. Pepper method. Royalty check of course is in the mail!

Sean

Location: Vancouver Island | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This question is for all that use koh
I was using noah now i cant getit so ive ordered koh
How do i mix the trition test liquid using the koh for doing my trition test and using waste veg oil what would be the base wait or amount to start with with koh
Ive looked and cant find the information i saw it before and just cant find it again
and using termic the herb do i just see the color change or does it need to hold the darkest color for a amoumt a time if so how long hate to be so much trouble but its best to know all i can
thanks for all yal?s help when i ordered my koh i ask about how pour it was they say its 90 percent
Cheapride

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

Titration using KOH is covered in the World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)

Put simply, change NaOH for KOH and change the Base from 5g to 7g adjusted for lack of purity.

posted Hide Post
Hi!

I finally got around to making my test batch and I think it worked out fine! I used WVO andtitrated it out to .5 mL So I used 5.5 grams of NAOH (Gilettes) and 220mL methyl Hydrate.

I have a light brown (murky) layer and a dark brown glycerine layer at the bottom.

Next step is to drain the glycerine and wash the batch!

I attached a picture of it for critiquing!

Thanks for the help!

Sean

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

posted Hide Post
yep, that's what it looks like. Now you've got to wash it.

Location: searchmont ontario | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yep....just reading that part again so I dont get mayonaise!

I noticed that after I had drained the glycerol out and removed the cap that the plastic around the cap of the pop bottle...the threaded part...was all crazed and cracked! Luckily no leaks!

I will post some pics post wash too!

Sean

posted Hide Post
I am a newbie. I made a test batch with some pretty good looking WVO and the results look good. Now I have made a second batch with a very dark WVO (soybean) from a chinese restaurant. Well! The biodiesel, prewash, is really dark. It is transparent, with a fluid layer of glycerine at the bottom of the bottle. Does the normal product always come out golden colored? This one is not even close. I titrated it with Tumeric as the indicator at 4.1. Then used a pH meter and got approximately a pH of 8.6.

Does this sound right? Oops should I say look right?

Thanks for the advice.

Dana