BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
yes, and yes. It's partially hydrogenated vegetable oil so it'll have a 'worse' cold weather gelling point than non-hydrogenated oils generally, but it should work well otherwise.

Mark

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i started making a 20 liter batch and like a dummy didnt let it cool and added half a my meth
and lye mix it boiled off have i runed this batch a oil can it still be made into fuel if so hw and i read a peace on washing mike pelly says to add a little vingar ot it before wash if so does anyone knw how much vingar to put in for liter

posted Hide Post
Hello cheepride

I suggest you start over with the oil as if you have done nothing to it.
But do it with a test litre first.
NO VINEGAR or any other acid in the wash.
Mike Pelly apparently is still 4 years behind the times.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i made four liters and tryed it in an old furnce i have in out house and it seemed to stop up the burner what can i do to stop that

posted Hide Post
i was trying it in the furnace befor tying it in a auto glad i didnt put it in lol

posted Hide Post
well as always i sent the first to the wrong place so
here i go again i made my first batch a 16 leters dont the titration test mixed as the lye and myth
this is what i got about 8 leters a fuel and maybe the same in waste product
the question is to create that much waste have i used to much lye or too little
can the waste be run again its almost like a soild from like maybe a bar a soap that has gotten two worm
i have read all i can find and wondering if this has happened to someone else and what i may have done wrong
many many thanks for the help all yal have
given already
still at the drawing board

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

What was the titration?
How much NaOH did you use?
How much methanol did you use?
What temperature did you do the reaction at?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use five as a base then i did the titration the titration was four which i added to five per litter
2 i used 144 g naOh
3 i used 4 litters myth mixed to naOh
4 the temp im not really sure but i think
about 50c may less

i did the titration three times and it came out the same all three times

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

The chemical amounts sound right.
How long did it take for the gel to occure?
Does all the gel look the same, or are there different qualities of gel?
Did you make sure there was no water in the reaction.

posted Hide Post
i left it over night went back to it the next morning and it was there and yes it was all the same no different qualities a gel
and im sure there wasnt water in the mix
i have made small batchs out a the same oil and it did well and made one ten litter batch and it also did well atleast i think it did comparing it too what i have experenced so far
well to say the least i have enjoyed what i have learned and experenced up to this point
thanks a bunch to all yal
for all the help
cheapride

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

Describe the gel? Colour in particular.
How cold did the Biodiesel get overnight?

If it looks white the biodiesel is frozen.

The next thing that comes to mind is soap binding the esters together.
This most frequently occures when using high tallow WVO, and High FFA WVO,
To check for this, take about 300ml of the gel from the top and put it into a 2 litre dr Pepper bottle and pour about 300ml of warm/hot water on top.
Screw top down tight.
Shake hard for about 10 seconds and see if anything happens.

posted Hide Post
hi tilly
the gel looks kinda dark golden honey in color and sorta holds together and it got about down to about thirty five degress f and im almost sure it has some tallow in it too
now another thing how do i tell when the reaction is complete
and yet another thing i was washing well trying to wash 38 llitters a oil i made i added the water and stired it and it turned into something for no better way to tell you what it looks like i would have to say it looks like chicken soup how can i make this stuff brake back down its been twenty four hours sents ive done it
i have read that really hot water will start the reaction or use salt or vingar
well i though i was doing so well but i guess i am in a sents making all these mistakes in the beginning when i figure out all ive done wrong ill have it down pat lol
which would you think would be the best of the three salt hot water or vingar to start breaking down my soup
thanks bunchs for your help
cheapride

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

A honey colour suggests a soap gel.
Have you tried to wash a sample of the gel as suggested above?

The safest way to wash is to "Mist" water over top of the biodiesel.

I never had emulsions so am not an authority on how to handle them.
Put a sample of you chicken soup in a pan and heat it on the stove.
Be carefu of water bubbling up as it heats up. With any luck you will see something happen by 100deg C.
Another idea is to mix equal amounts of the waste glycerine into the chickensoup. This will usually break the emulsion.

posted Hide Post
HI Tilly
I took a sample and heated it by puting hot water in it . It gave me three layers
one water second something like rendered lard
the third dark orgne liquid i think is fuel
by morning the second was almost gone now
1 should i reheat the remaining batch and pull the fuel off and discard the rest
2 how can i keep it from being this way in makiing it in the reaction
i hope that i and others that are new can learn from the mistakes i have made
im really grateful for this board and everyone that has given help to us all anyone that has input feel more than welcome as i need it
if i have a big percentage a tallow will i see this a lot
is there a way in the reaction process to prevent this
again many thanks to all
Cheapride

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

You say you put hot water in some glop and now you have orange juice on top of water.

If this is correct then yes, the orange juice is biodiesel and the bottom is water.
This means the problem was a gel formed by soap.
Just go ahead and wash the rest of the glop and it should seperate into biodiesel and water.

posted Hide Post
HI Tilly
Well success at last the heat thing worked
I am going to wash the remaining fuel and see what happens
I was wondering with using wvo should the fuel be clear or have a redish brown or something color to it
and a gain thanks you saved the day here
Cheapride

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

The fuel should be crystal clear but will have a colour to it which will be determined by the oil being used.
I am glad to hear the problem seems to be solved.

posted Hide Post
hi tilly
I made a five gal batch a fuel washed it three times and dryed it it wouldnt clear up so i done a titration on what i made it took one ml a lye solu to change color and hold i then used a 3.5 as a base and added one grm lye to a liter a already made fuel it came out clear really clear what am i doing wrong that the big batch want come out clear

posted Hide Post
Hello cheapride

You should be using 5g for the Base amount not 3.5g

posted Hide Post
hey tilly
i did use 5 as a base when i first made it and rerun a liter using 3.5 then one grm why do you thing it wouldnt come out clear the first time not enough lye or myth im comfused