BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    filtering?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

filtering?
 Login/Join

posted
ok one last question.. is it possible to filter the diesel through some kind of sediment water filter? i have seen some for about 5microns.. would passing the diesel through one of these be something that would have an effect?

posted Hide Post
It would go a long way to filter out particles greater than 5 micron in size.
I personally use a 1 micron sock/ bag filter to run all my biodiesel through just before using it.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I suggest referring to biodiesel as other than diesel as it raises confusion with mineral diesel. My understanding is that commercial diesel is never filtered lower than 15 micron. Then of course there is the difference between absolute and nominal.

You will need to ensure that the BD doesn't dissolve plastic, or the glues holding the filter cartridge together.

Legal Eagle can tell you about using Caterpillar spinon filters, 2 micron from memory.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fuel mix is filtered through a 5µ cotton string wound filter cartridge in a whole house water filter housing, as it's pumped into the vehicle tank. The filters are normally used for hydronic heating systems. This system has been working flawlessly for years. Use string wound filters since bioduiesel will 'eat' the sintered plastic water filter cartridges.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now centrifuge my finished biodiesel. I use a No5 centrifuge at 100psi which puts a force >4000G on the bowl contents.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I tinker a lot with straight WVO as well as biodiesel, I centrifuge all my collected oil. Some of it is then burned straight in certain equipment, while other oil is converted into biodiesel for other vehicles. As a result, I never filter my finished biodiesel after washing and drying. Other than the initial "fuel system cleanout" that starting to use the solvent fuel will give you, my filters last full regular maintenance intervals without issue on the biodiesel machines.

Centrifuging is not necessarily the fastest, especially if you run multiple passes, but I found it a much better solution than long waits for settling, lots of bags or cartridges, etc.

These days I just wish I had more time to tinker around with it -- it's hard to find the free time, and with dino juice under $2/gal at the moment it's easy to let the daily driver blend tend more heavily toward D2.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Wow the filter bag is a great idea! Do you just put into your cars fuel tank? I just ordered a 1micron..I had said 5 before because I heard it on a Utah diesel supply video.. But yeah I guess one would be better.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fotorebelion:
Wow the filter bag is a great idea!

Filter bags not really "a great idea" at all, and 5µ is quite adequate, IF you are processing your fuel correctly. My 5µ cartridge filter on the discharge side of my fuel fill pump lasts for years and years without needing changing.

If your process causes 5µ filters to clog then a 1µ will clog even faster. You should be getting all that out with a 20µ-30µ filter earlier in the process.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Filter bags not really "a great idea" at all,
Why not? Why do you say a filter bag is not a "great idea"?
I know many people making biodiesel that use a sock filter for their final filter.
I have used a 1 micron sock filter for my final filter with perfect success for around 13 years.

quote:
and 5µ is quite adequate, IF you are processing your fuel correctly.
Possibly, but a 1 micron sock filter costs the same as a 5 micron sock filter so it only seems sensible to me to go with the lower micron rating "just in Case"

quote:
If your process causes 10µ filters to clog then a 1µ will clog even faster.
Who besides you is talking about clogged 10 micron filters???

quote:
You should be getting all that out with a 20µ-30µ filter earlier in the process.
Are you using a 20- 30 micron filter earlier in the process? Where at?
I have never filter anything except the final 1 micron filter just before pouring the biodiesel into the car.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi fotorebellion,

quote:
Originally posted by fotorebelion:
Wow the filter bag is a great idea!
Yes, bag filters are very good at filtering any remaining particles out of your biodiesel- Many people use them as their final/ only filter.

quote:
Do you just put into your cars fuel tank?
No,I do not put the bag filter into the fuel tank.

This is similar to the bag filters I use.
It is about 30cm long and the top opening hard ring is about 8cm diameter.

I hang the filter by it's rim inside an old beer home-brew carboy that is about about 45cm tall with an opening of about 7cm diameter similar to this one.

I then pour the biodiesel into the top of the bag filter and it runs through the filter into the carboy.
You will notice there is a place to install a tap on the bottom of the carboy from which I decant my filtered biodiesel into 20 litre fuel containers ready for use.

I am not sure why John Galt seems to be having so much trouble with his filters, my experience has been that the ONLY filtering required is this one micron filter.

My present bag filter has been in use for about 2 years and it is getting a bit dirty inside.
I will probably wash it soon and then install it inside a new 1 micron filter.
That is what I normally do, I just put an old washed 1 micron sock filter inside a new 1 micron sock filter so the biodiesel is actually double filtered at once

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tilly,

posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the ideas.. It did a test batch of 120l and filtered without washing through the 1micron filter bag and got about 2.5 +/- kg of glycerin (dark brown translucent). Mixed also with some gunky fatty residues (in guessing in reacted oil left over that geled?)
2.5kg out a 120l is like 2% of impurities? Is that good?
Also how do I clean the filter?