BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    I use methanol in my titrations?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I use methanol in my titrations?
 Login/Join

posted
Having trouble finding anything greater than 70% isopropanol. I'm no chemist but it seems logical to use methanol in the titrations since that's what we're using in the main reaction...? So can I use it in my titrations? Thanks!

brewing for a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with a Fuelmeister I bought from a guy that was going to use it as a still...never did and his mother wanted it out of the house...

Location: East end of long island | Registered: May 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Acidic and alkaline activity only occurs in the presence of water, so your 70% IPA should be fine, I understand.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The oil is not soluble in methanol. Around here drugstores like Rite Aid, Walgreens, and Bartells carry 90% and better.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Barley,
Testing I performed many years ago showed that methanol can be used for the titration.
As binuya has pointed out, the WVO does not dissolve in methanol so you will need to stir more vigorously in the titration.
When I titrate I use "Methylated spirits" which is 95% ethanol. WVO does not dissolve in ethanol either so I stir more vigerously

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most pet and livestock supply places like TSC carry 99% too, though it may be in a gallon jug.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you will be adding more water into the equation, that's what the other 30% is in 70% iso, you can order technical grade from thesciencecompany.com.
I finally got a 5 gallon pail form my chemical supplier.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot folks, quickest responses yet! I did a side by side comparison of 91% iso and 70% iso and came up with a much different titration hence the query. I will look harder for at least 90% iso per your suggestions. Thanks again!

brewing for a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with a Fuelmeister I bought from a guy that was going to use it as a still...never did and his mother wanted it out of the house...

Location: East end of long island | Registered: May 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barley, Some brands of the better grade gas line de-icer use propanol instead of methanol. For the amount you use per titration (10 ml) a 12 oz bottle will last a long time. I use NAPA product no. 7100.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick G:
Barley, Some brands of the better grade gas line de-icer use propanol instead of methanol. For the amount you use per titration (10 ml) a 12 oz bottle will last a long time. I use NAPA product no. 7100.

I used to use the Heet brand isopropyl in the red bottle, but a few years ago they started adding something else to it. It has a reddish tint. I didn't feel comfortable titrating with it, and didn't use it. Do you know if it's still okay to use for titration?

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Barley, when you did your side by side comparisons of 70% vs 91%, did you blank?

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick, I did not

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
When alcohol gets old, it gets acidic. We blank to neutralize that acid before we test. The differences you saw between 70% and 91% were most likely due to one of the alcohols being more acidic than the other.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Isopropanol is the only alcohol that will dissolve oil and aqueous solution. Watch out for old Isopropanol that has become acidic, I got tricked once. Better calibrate it (if your bromothymol blue reactant turns yellow when you add the alcool) by adding a drop or two of your 1g/L solution of NaOH till it turns greenish (neutral) then proceed nto your tirtration like normal.

Transesterificare Nunc Saponificare

Location: Outback Cairns, Nth Queensland | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again folks. I think old isopropyl was probably the culprit. I found some 91% so I think I'm good to go for a while.

posted Hide Post
Ive been using Methanol for titration since i started making bio, you just have to keep the oil/meth stirred up when you measure the PH. also warming it helps too. Did try some proper iso from an electronics store (circuit board cleaner) once and could't really tell the difference apart from the smell. Oil seemed to drop out just as quick, so i went back to using methanol. Also the iso seemed to be more inherently acidic.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI with a BKP engine 86,000 miles on B100 and not going strong. Bio-diesel broke oil pump drive shaft! ..No oil pressure, dead turbo.

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, England | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Cineman, How did the Biodiesel manage to break the oil pump shaft? The oil pump as far as I know is in the sump, and should be nowhere near the Biodiesel, Just curious. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post