BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    High Titration Oil and Base question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Titration Oil and Base question
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I suppose this may have been addressed elsewhere but am unable to find s definitive answer.

Is the two stage base process a good alternative to acid/base for higher titrating WVO?

I have some WVO at around 8 with NaOH and am looking for a reasonable base only process as my steel reactor and lines will most likely not withstand the acid.

Any ideas? I will try some small batches and see I suppose.

Cheers,

Ram

98.5 Cummins Ram running "bd-neat"

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ram
-base/base would be the way to go if you don't want to get into AE. but remember, your yield will suffer. another alterantive would be the do a byproduct wash, ei add the byproduct from a previous batch, heat mix and drain that will pull the T down several points The caustic in the byproduct turns the ffa into soap, and it ends up in the byproduct.
-Ottawa eh! I grew up in Petawawa and have a brother living in Ottawa! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tom. I have processed WVO that started with a titration of 8 NAoH, I got it down to 4 by doing 2 glycerin pretreats over the course of 2 days. In the end it processed just fine.
Good luck!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say do AE, your yields will go up, you will be able to accept wvo you normally couldn't, and its fun to learn new stuff.
Plus you have Biotom's attention, (he's a real pro at this, especially using steel tanks for AE) Big Grin

Good Luck!

Location: Buckeye | Registered: July 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

Thanks for the supportive feedback. I should clarify, would really like to get to A/B yet am concerned about corrosion. If I could find a way/method to minimize that I'd be all in.

Suggestions Biotom?

Cheers all,

Ram

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ram
-fear of corrosion where? In the processor, you don't have to worry there, the acid laden wvo is not resident there long enough to cause any problems. and after the AE, the acid is competely neutralized in the base stage. I used my old processor for 4 years,there was NO sign of any corrosion in the tank. I may add, I also use a steel methoxid tank, and after that time there was NO sign of corrosion either. for some reason steel tanks get a bad rap, I don't know why. My processor is made from old propane tanks, the material thickness is about 1/8 inch. Tom

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I also did AE with an Appleseed set up for some time. Steel water heater tank and black pipe fittings, no problems.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! well there you go....a myth buster.

Much appreciated Tom. My setup uses an old lime dispenser tank @ 600 litres and 1/8" thick. That otta do it.

OK, so time to read up on AE and get started.

Thanks all again,

Cheers

Ram

posted Hide Post
ram
-If you need any help with AE, feel free to email or PM me. All me wvo goes through the AE process. Tom