BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    help lol. we messed something up

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help lol. we messed something up
 Login/Join

posted
my children are making BD for a school project using the dr.pepper method.we used 1L of virgin oil+200ml methanol+6g lye.my son shook it as i put away the methoxide mix.he shook it a very long time like 10 min.he said it turned dark then went kinda milky yellow.it has been 20 min and all we see is milky yellow with globs of what looks like clearish snot.should we start over or will it still seperate with time?

posted Hide Post
Was the lye KOH or NaOH?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it is sodium hydroxide lye.weve had just a little bit of seperation.with the dr pepper bottle holding one ltr.we have what appears to be about 1 inch of BD on top the rest is thick creamy gel.
we tried a second bottle and shook it for about 10-15 sec. this one left us with a nice seperation which left about 1 1/2 inch of clear amber colored liquid on bottomn and cloudy amber for the rest.we dont understand why the different results and are looking for any help since we are wanting to make BD for our farm use.

posted Hide Post
your oil must have a high water content? have you done a hot pan test on the oil before adding any chemicals?

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckskin1217:
...we are wanting to make BD for our farm use.

Do a search for messages by member Fuelfarmer, like this:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...Type=1&search=Search

If you have not tested the VO for water, then it's like 'shooting craps' when wet oil is used.
Learn how to test for wet oil.
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/about72.html

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are using new, unused vege oil you are over-dosing on the NaOH. Cut back to 3.5gm or 5gm/liter.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
If you are using new, unused vege oil you are over-dosing on the NaOH. Cut back to 3.5gm or 5gm/liter.

You must never use less than 6 grams to convert any new cooking oil to biodiesel. Its not uncommon for commercial plants to use as much as 8 grams. IF you use less than 6 grams your biodiesel will not pass the astm quality test.

I know its all over the internet to use 3.5 grams for new OIL but this got posted a long time ago and spread around. Most of it probably originates from the same source. I been around biodiesel for more than 10 years and do biodiesel consultant work from time to time.

Biodiesel for cleaner air and fuel independence!
(502) 272-6333

Location: Indiana | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post