BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Water Wash too time consuming
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water Wash too time consuming
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmperfdiesel:
WOW!! this has really provoked more discussion than I ever thought it would.

...On the 3rd time, I shook the snot out of it and it settled quickly and the water was clear. I then put my air line with diffusing stone into the jar and bubbled it for about 5 minutes. When it settled out, the water was cloudy again just like on the 2nd wash.

Anyone have any theories on this?

Don't know why this works but it has been my observation. I use bubble blast wash when the water from the second or third wash cycle yields nearly clear water. The water I wash with is naturally hard and this is a normal part of the way I wash.

Location: Shelbyville Tennessee | Registered: November 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmperfdiesel:

On the 3rd time, I shook the snot out of it and it settled quickly and the water was clear. I then put my air line with diffusing stone into the jar and bubbled it for about 5 minutes. When it settled out, the water was cloudy again just like on the 2nd wash.

Anyone have any theories on this?

Well, my theory would be that you have a lot more surface area on the air bubbles going through the water and oil allowing both fluids to come in contact with each other than you would just by shaking alone. Now, even by shaking the snot out of it, you may create air gaps that collapse on themselves with both fluids over and over and over again, the size of the air gaps (bubbles) are not as small or as abundant as those created by the air stone. The difference is so small but makes such a big impact, similar to comparing filtering with a paper filter vs. activated carbon.

Just my theory. Poke away.

posted Hide Post
If you use GL's dry washing method you dont need to worry about emulsions or enough shear when mixing and you don't have to worry about removeing the water because you don't add any.

posted Hide Post
I was hoping GL's system would help solve my rice oil washing problems but no go because I don't recover the methanol from BD before washing.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I've done the PH Pluss test and it shows some glycerides. The batch has been washed several times. How do I 'fix' the batch?

Location: SE Ma  | Registered: November 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are sure that it is dry enough, you could do a reprocess. You could take a 1 liter sample and experiment. If you aren't afraid to burn it in your engine, it would probably blend well with dino diesel.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post