BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Making Soapy biodiesel.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making Soapy biodiesel.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just a bit of info John. When I used to get the 'spent glycerol' from Russell (ex his H2SO4 cracking process) I used to have to neutralise it before adding it to my bio to 'de-soap it'

Before neutralisation the pH was 2 to 3 (still very acidic)

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John, it may be that you have to overdose with acid to get the reaction going properly.

The glyc I used to get from Russell ex his acid process which I used for de-soaping showed a Ph before neutralisation of between around 2.3 and 3.0

Sorry, posted twice, didn't realise.

posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
yes Russell explained his process to us when we visited his plant. He dosed the glycerol all the way to ph 2.8 to maximise the yield of of acid oil from which he made biodiesel. In my experiments with neutralization of glycerol with sulphuric acid I found such a high dose ensured a 3 way split , Acid oil ( FFAs) on top , semirefined glycerol in the middle and water / salts on the bottom. A lower dose caused a two way split with the glycerol and water salts/staying mixed. Thats the result Im looking for as water and chloride salts are desirable in the final product but oils and soaps are not.
Im not sure how accurate a ph measurement is when applied to glycerol. Ph is a measurement of acidity in an aqueous solution and the amount of water in glycerol can be quite low. However Russel was able to use ph as a reliable method of controlling his process so even if it isnt totally accurate it can be useful. I will use both PH and titration methods to monitor the progress of this trial and it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understood John, all interesting stuff. Please let us know how you proceed.

Dave.